IOS 5 Beta 7 HUGE bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dima470, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok so i updated my device to IOS 5 beta 7 ota yesterday and until then my music was playing normally and all of a sudden now half of my music wont play it opens up and then goes back to song selction... I tried reboot no luck help!?

2. echo2011 macrumors regular

3. shandyman Suspended

just resync it, it seems to happen with OTA updating. Photos do it and it's a documented issue, so music must have the same glitch.

4. Dima470 thread starter macrumors regular

Dima470

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Kk thx guys

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

That's Beta Software :) They call it that for a reason.

Too many people have expectations that it won't be very buggy.

Apple is one of the best at progressing rapidly from Beta to final release.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how is it a HUGE bug if all you had to do was unsync then resync music? huge bug to me would mean there needs to be an update out to fix the issue :rolleyes:

7. LeakedDave macrumors regular

O.O. It IS a huge bug. I paid a lot for this phone, I paid for good software. It better damn work well when it's out of beta.

It does need fixed, period.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

it is in beta now and it will probably be resolved if you report it.

9. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Once I dl'd beta 7, my iPod was fcked too, but once I deleted my music and re-added it, everything has worked fine since.

10. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Didn't realize that you just had to resync the music after the OTA. I downloaded the entire update and did a restore.

11. andybno1, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it's laughable that you expect a beta to just work.... this is why it's a beta before release to iron out the bugs, if you paid good money for your phone then simple answer don't install beta software on your precious phone.

Also something thats easily fixed is not a HUGE bug

12. csheath macrumors member

I just plugged in and re-sync'd, didn't even delete the music, just clicked sync and 5 mins later all my music worked again

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Of course it needs to get fixed, but I don't understand your attitude here. You are using beta software, so you should be expecting bugs. If you are not prepared to deal with them, just use the latest officially available version...
    I guess you are not a developer...

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You paid to be a developer, to gain access to beta, unfinished, unrefined code early so you can be ahead of the game with your apps when the final polished version is released to the general public. If you don't like it, go back to 4.3.x.

Jeez... you'd think a developer would be able to read and comprehend the English language printed on Apple's site.

15. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the OP and say that he was merely discussing it here. That he knows it is a beta, yadda yadda yadda.
    (let's not talk about NDA and the legality of discussing it here).

As for myself, I've reported two bugs to the Apple Bug Reporter. Each time, I got a nice response that it was already a known bug. But I did my part, even if not actively developing these days.

Would have been more, if not for procrastination... :-D

16. wvphysics macrumors regular

I will agree, the OP was not complaining or surprised, he simply was mentioning the bug and asking if anyone knew of a fix. While people complaining about buggy beta software can be annoying; the Beta Nazi's that swoop down anytime someone nicely mentions a bug and politely asks if anyone knows of a fix are usually even more annoying.

17. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Sorry, wvphysics, but I'm going to disagree completely here.

People like me who are Beta Nazis™ are so because we either develop for the iPhone/iPad or have associations with those who do. We've gotten our hands on this firmware through legitimate means and for legitimate reasons. We're not little kids just tinkering with the latest and greatest just because shady sites host the files and other shady sites take money to add UDIDs.

These kids do this because they're bored. It's the same thing that happened when jailbreaking first started. If we were all satisfied with the original software, jailbreaking would have flopped.

If they were satisfied with iOS 4, jailbroken or not, they wouldn't be toying around with iOS 5.

Bottom line is, if they're going to forego the clear restrictions against them touching beta software when they have no right to, they need to expect some level of fodder when they come whining for help after it's failed them somehow. It's a reasonable reaction from people like me who experience the same HUGE bugs and simply submit the info to Apple, reverse what we did if applicable, and move on with our testing & development.

I'm up for a disagreement in return, but I can't imagine it would be much beyond, "Yeah well... shut up!"

18. wvphysics macrumors regular

In what way was he whining or complaining. He also showed no indication he expected the software to be bug free, that is your assumption. It is a big or "huge" bug, but he didn't complain about it like a later post. He simply stated he had a bug and politely asked if there was a fix. Flying off the handle based off assumptions is just rude. You can fix ignorance by answering their question, but there is no cute for being an a$$.

19. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Yet another thread for people who are playing when they shouldn't be.

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I didn't say anyone whined or complained.

As far as my assumption is concerned, I think it's pretty safe. He and people like him come to this forum to "politely ask if there is a fix" and get the same hostile reactions because people like me experience the same issues that constitute a fix, and we let it go or simply submit the issue to Apple and move on. We know enough about the product to fix it ourselves if it's fixable (most of the time).

In the instances where we'd like to discuss it amongst other developers (without breaking down a fourth wall) we discuss it elsewhere. Therefore, I stand by my assumption: This guy isn't a developer.

Even if I'm wrong and my argument completely baseless, ask yourself this: Why is it that whenever people start threads like this, this argument erupts? (There may be a vocal majority.)

I really do understand and appreciate your argument. You're saying that there's a chance he's a developer or tester of some sort and is simply looking for a fix to a bug. I get that. I just find it hard to believe any of this when I read his post and the manner in which he spoke. It's riddled with hypertypical kid-playing-with-beta-stuff speak and leads me to believe he's a duck.

I'm open to being wrong.

21. wvphysics macrumors regular

Looks to me like you did. Also, btw, any idiot can pay $99 to become a "developer". Whether or not he is a developer is irrelevant for this discussion. You nor anyone else just magically knows how to fix things, it is because someone has been helpful to them and provided the knowledge. This forum is about discussion and being helpful. If people come on to complain and whine and make demands then I agree they have opened themselves up for that. This forum is about discussion and being helpful, so if you wish to berate people who just ask if there is a simple solution then you should do it someplace else. These arguements start up because the a-holes on here can't just let someone say "just re-sync" and have to belittle the OP to make themselves feel smarter or whater ever pointless reason they have.

22. soco, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

No, I said, "when they come whining" as opposed to, "this guy came whining." So again, I didn't say anyone was whining or complaining, but suggesting that people do come whining and complaining.

Really? Explain to me (politely) how one's developer status is irrelevant to a discussion on firmware being tested by developers. I'm all ears. While any idiot can pay for developer access, I'm mentioning developers in the context of those who actually develop apps.

No, it's not magic. It's years of experience and doing what we needed to do to research and learn about the things we're well learned in. Not years of bouncing around internet forums asking others to fix our problems for us. Granted one may learn something from the help, but we all know you learn more from finding it out yourself. If you want to tell me that this guy really went all out and researched the issue on his own first, I have a bridge for sale.

You seem to be aggravated by this dynamic on MacRumors, so I'll explain it. This forum is, indeed, about discussion and being helpful amongst other things. What it is not about is humoring and entertaining discussions based around crap like this that we (as people who view the forums all day) see 50 times a day. Rather than giving in to the ridiculous needs of 1,000 kids who borked their phones, we "a-holes" have been trying to discourage this behavior in the hopes that people like Dima470 will see these threads while they're checking to see if the topic has been discussed before (a laughable hope, I know) and read arguments like this.

Moreover, this forum is supportive of iPhone hacking. This goes beyond. This is iPhone developer benefit exploitation. I know the blind eye is often comforted by darkness, but I'm one of many a-holes who see things for what they are, and clearly have no issue pointing it out to you. It's on you whether or not you want to deal with it.

23. 34design macrumors newbie

you are so right well said !