Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I dont know what happened but I turned off wifi last night to do a speedtest on 3g with my ipad 2 which has ios 5 beta 1. I used it all day at work today fine. around 1pm I closed the smart cover and put it in my incase bag.

Around 10pm I get an email saying im nearing my data allowance. At first glance I thought it was my girlfriends iPhone because she usually comes close and my phone bill ends in a week. upon further inspection its my ipad data plan! it renewed THIS PAST WEEKEND.

I usually use about 300mb a month on the ipad out of 2gb and somehow ive already used 1.8gb! I opened the ipad and had a TON of warning pop ups but they kept popping up so fast I couldnt even read them. Something about wifi and 10000 or something. I had to turn it off to get them to stop. I think it might have something to do with auto downloads. So just a warning keep an eye on ios 5!

EDIT: I checked automatic downloads I had Music Apps and Books set to auto download however I had CELLULAR switched to OFF. Not to mention I havent downloaded anything new on any other device that would make the ipad download anything. unless a bunch of apps all of a sudden updated today.

DemonBob

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Bolton, NC
I seen a post other day where a dev mentioned his phone was keeping data connections open. I believe he was troubleshooting why they battery life was less then optimal and came across that. He narrowed the connections down to push e-mail accounts if I recall correctly.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I seen a post other day where a dev mentioned his phone was keeping data connections open. I believe he was troubleshooting why they battery life was less then optimal and came across that. He narrowed the connections down to push e-mail accounts if I recall correctly.

hmm. I turned all email notifications off but ill turn push off too. thanks! funny thing was for the first 2 days of ios 5 battery life phenominal. no charging still 75% then next day and it was dead.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I guess this is the sort of reason they do beta tests :) Hopefully they'll resolve this before releasing the final version.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
OP: Definitely turn off all cellular data usage. Make sure it can only use WiFi.

This sucks, but this is why Apple says to only install iOS 5.0 beta software on developer devices, not something you need for everyday use. Have you tried re-installing 4.3?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
OP: Definitely turn off all cellular data usage. Make sure it can only use WiFi.

This sucks, but this is why Apple says to only install iOS 5.0 beta software on developer devices, not something you need for everyday use. Have you tried re-installing 4.3?

No its been working fine since I turned Off all auto downloads and push email and it's Been ok. if it does it again and It forces me into buying another gb soon I'll go back to 4.3.3.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
No its been working fine since I turned Off all auto downloads and push email and it's Been ok. if it does it again and It forces me into buying another gb soon I'll go back to 4.3.3.

I know when I first installed iOS5 on my iPhone, iCloud was trying to backup all the time. I had to go in and turn that feature off, because it's not completely baked yet. That might help ...

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I know when I first installed iOS5 on my iPhone, iCloud was trying to backup all the time. I had to go in and turn that feature off, because it's not completely baked yet. That might help ...

I have unlimited data, but worried about usage and checked it out anyway. 800 megs for me in just a couple of days. Pretty high since I'm mainly on work wifi all day. I second the warning. Very very worry some.

drunifex

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
I have unlimited data, but worried about usage and checked it out anyway. 800 megs for me in just a couple of days. Pretty high since I'm mainly on work wifi all day. I second the warning. Very very worry some.

I have the exact same problem. Its using about 200 meg a day. All my icloud backup was turned off already. The only thing I did have on is sync application data to the cloud on 3g. I suspect that might be the problem for me. So I have turned that to wifi only.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Interesting stuff. I haven't messed with icloud yet and have been running the iOS5 beta on my 3G ipad2, currently on beta4.

My data usage is MUCH less -- like a couple hundred meg for the past three weeks. I'm usually in wifi coverage, but do a little bit of email or web when on 3G -- not too often though.

Sounds like icloud usage over 3G will hammer the data, so good to be careful.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
Have got iOS5 beta on iPad and iPhone and neither have shown any abnormal usage.

May have done last night if I didn't have wi-fi at home, for some reason the iPad decided to redownload all my apps as if I'd done an iCloud restore, which I hadn't.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
So weird, a few days ago my iPhone logged 400mb upload data in two days. I've disabled all push and backups and now I'm going to watch it like a hawk. I'm on beta 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.