iOS 5 beta and Lion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 101at9, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

Im loving lion and iOS 5 separately but together they don't get along just yet. iOS 5 beta 3 requires iTunes 10.5 beta 3 to sync but when you update your mac to lion it requires iTunes 10.4 for all that fullscreen jazz. iTunes 10.5 doesn't work at all on my mac so i can't back up my phone or iPad. Anyone have this problem and has anyone discovered a work around besides backing up to iCloud, because that takes waaayyyyyy to long. Thanks

2. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I think the key word is "beta". I think Apple will release another "beta" to work with Lion...

3. 101at9 thread starter macrumors member

101at9

wow

I realize that. but that is not the question. The question was asking if anyone has found a way to back up either device. It was also a way to warn people who haven't upgraded to lion to wait if they do have iOS 5 on a device.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

This was talked about in a thread, there is an update for iTunes in the software update. After you do that reinstall the beta iTunes from the dev site. It worked for me a bit buggy but it gets the job done.

5. 101at9 thread starter macrumors member

101at9

Thank you Mr. Dr. Kevorkian. I knew i could trust you. :D Which button should i press again? lol

6. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

You forget to read my second sentence. Apple will most likely release another beta for iTunes and iOS 5 to work on Lion and then backup at that time.

7. 101at9 thread starter macrumors member

101at9

Nope i read it. That was covered under the part when i said "I realize that". And yes i did just quote you quoting me, quoting myself. Or something to that effect. Dr. Kevorkian then killed this thread by answering the question i asked.

Btw when apple releases a new beta of iTunes it doesn't recognize the previous beta on your idevice. That was the cause of concern.

8. tygrubb macrumors regular

When I installed Lion, it downgraded my iTunes 5b3 install to iTunes 4. I re-installed iTunes 5b3 and it works just as well as under SL 10.6.8 (in other words, same stuff works, same stuff doesn't work). Note that I had to re-launch iTunes a couple of times before it recognized my iPhone (wireless or plugged).

Note that I didn't do anything special, didn't install anything extra.

9. Ach111es macrumors regular

I have a new MBA and I actually can't even get iCloud to work. tried installing the beta but it just prompted a restart and never appeared. any pointers?

10. willsoriano macrumors member

How about they go ahead and release iOS 5 beta 4 along with it. Isn't it about that time?

11. cherrybabe macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for the new iOS 5 Beta as well...For the ones that already have iOS 5 installed - is it worth it or rather stay with iOS 4?

12. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Backup to iCloud only takes a few minutes (after the initial one) for me, since I think it's meant to do it's stuff at night when plugged into power it shouldn't be a big problem?

cherrybabe - beta 4 came out earlier, you should have had notification on your device?

13. sectime macrumors 6502a

I have one irritating problem. On my new Macbook Pro 10.5 beta 4 works fine. On my MacPro I can't get Genius playlist to turn on. I keep getting a error about
    the store is busy or check my internet connection. Both have Lion and I updated iTunes the same way. I did find that Ituneshelper didn't show up in Login preferences, on the MacPro, but I fixed that. Since you can't currently uninstall iTunes in Lion I can't go that route. Other than this issue I can't wait for final release.

14. cherrybabe macrumors newbie

not quite sure what you mean...I don't have any version of iOS 5 on my iPhone right now, just wondering if I should do it. Since I've got Lion on my mac, I want to make sure it's really working :)