iOS 5 Beta: Does iPhone Explorer work? Can I backup my save games?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sofakng, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'm moving from iOS 4.3.2 to iOS 5 (beta) and I'd like to completely reformat/reinstall iOS and start from scratch.

However, I'd like to restore a couple of save games from my current phone.

Is this possible? It looks like iPhone Explorer could do this (even on unjailbroken phones) but I've heard that it doesn't work for iOS 5 yet?

2. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'm gonna say no. If you've seen the file structure Apple stores on your computer of your backup, you'd go screaming into the night. I know of no way to make any kind of sense out of that gibberish.

This is partly why people want access to iPhone file structure so things like games can store all their files in an easily accessible place for all.

You might try iPhone Browser, though. It might work.. never know, but good luck finding any save game info.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

there are iCloud APIs in the new SDK...games can store their saves in the cloud now, and you can start a game on your iPad, take the save on the go with your iPhone, etc. (so long as the games devs implement this API)

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, but the actual execution of this and if iCloud will retain files for games you no longer have on any device is unclear.

And it will never apply retrospectively.

Phazer

5. dekadent macrumors member

dekadent

Actually, I found it rather easy. A few days ago I transfered my game progress in Angry Birds (all three versions) from my iPhone to my iPad. Worked like a charm. Since my phone is not jailbreaked there is a very limited part of the file system I can access, basically just a folder containing subfolders for all the apps, and in those subfolders the progress/highscore files are conveniently located. Drag'n drop. Done.

I do hope this will be possible in iOS5 too.

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I found them too using iPhoneBrowser. They're at /User/Applications/ under randomly generated directory names. You just have to poke around until you find your program info. It will be names (as an example) PegJump.app and all your stuff will be inside...

7. falcon212 macrumors newbie

iPhoneExplorer works on iOS5, make sure you install afc2add form cydia (you might not need it, im not sure)

:)

8. Core5i macrumors newbie

I am sure it possible to do it. you might want also to save your Shsh with TinyUmbrella