iOS 5 beta Installation Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Invisible Cat, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Invisible Cat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a few question regarding the iOS 5 beta installation, if anyone could answer them that would be great.

1. Is iOS 5 beta supported by all carriers, I'm on Orange and want to ensure that my service will continue.

2. Am I right in saying that the update will wipe my phone and I will need to restore the apps (etc) from a backup taken prior to the update?

3. Just in case something should go wrong (fingers crossed) how do I put the phone in DFU mode, is it hold power and home for 3 seconds or something?

Thanks.

2. Gofre macrumors regular

Yes, all carriers support it (I'm on Orange) and yes, you will need to restore from a backup. Unsure on the last one though =P

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

hold both for 10 sec

release power for 5

hold home for 10...

i think? just google it?

4. graymalkin2 macrumors newbie

Step-by-step guide on how to install iOS 5 beta

Invisible Cat,

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install iOS 5 beta that will also help you through the whole process.

Q1. No problems with the carriers at all. You just need to make sure that you have registered your UDID as a registered development device before doing the update (I'm assuming you are part of the Apple's iOS Developer Program).

Q2. Yes, it will restore all your apps from your last backup. I've updated my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 without problems. All the apps came back successfully and app folders came back fine too.

Q3. Please note that after installing iOS5 beta it will be hard to revert back to iOS 4. No problems with updating upwards iOS 5 Beta2, Beta 3 etc though.

Let me know how it goes.

5. shandyman Suspended

you're best setting it up as new and then copying the apps over, rather than restoring from a backup, i did a restore and it was laggy in settings menu, battery drained badly. since restoring again and doing it from new, it's been perfect. i'm on orange too