iOS 5 Beta Verizon Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cardinalryan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Please help!

I am a developer and installed iOS 5 on my Verizon iPhone, but now the phone is showing my phone number as a bunch of zeros 1-3-4-5.

The phone will not activate. Has anyone else had this issue or any advice on what to do? Verizon tech was of no help at all.

Anything anybody could chip in would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that's referring to itunes in the cloud, which requires 4.3.x. verizon iphones are stuck on 4.2.x, making itunes in the cloud a no go. however, there's an ios 5 beta build for verizon (cdma) phones.

op, i saw ios 5 running on a verizon iphone just fine last night, phone and all.

4. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Yes, there is a CDMA version of iOS 5 and that is the one I installed. Is there anyone here who can shed light on my original post?

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't know how you went about installing... BUT i would try going back and doing a RESTORE to ios5 from iTunes 10.5 and NOT restoring again from your backup. Maybe that will fix the issue.

6. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Running on mine great. I didn't restore from backup. Maybe try a restrart?

7. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Did you use xcode to add your device to your developer's account? I think this may be my issue.

8. adamkpl macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue with the iOS 5 for my CDMA iPhone 4. I tried everything and wasn't able to get any service. Gave up and restored back to 4.2.8.

P.S. My device was not yet added to the apple dev DB - i used the emergency call trick to bypass the lock. I doubt this has to do with the issue but could be mistaken.

9. stillmaticb33 macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone- iOS 5 screw up

Hey man, my verizon iPhone will not activate at all either, it changed my phone number to 000000537 in iTunes and will not activate to VZW's towers... vzw or apple was unsure what to do about it. Please email me if you find out ANYTHING to do with how to fix it. Plus i was unable to restore it to 4.2.8 so my phone is literally an iPod Touch... i DFU'd and uninstalled iTunes 5 and reinstalled iTunes 3.1 and tried to option+restore the 4.2.8 ipsw and it gives me error code 1603/1604--- anyone know what to do about that???? I would appreciate anything!

hayesm05@students.ecu.edu

10. adamkpl macrumors newbie

I figured out the problem I was having. The emergency call swipe trick to bypass the initial screen won't allow you to activate the phone. In order for this to work you need to have your unit id in the apple dev database. Bummer. You can downgrade (don't listen to what others say) downgrading is straight forward

http://thegadgets.net/2011/06/10/how-to-downgrade-ios-5-to-ios-4-3-3-for-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad/

Also its not just a VZW thing

11. 21ce macrumors member

Yeah you can't just activate through xcode, you have to go on the apple's provisional site and input your UDID under "devices". Then you can use xcode to authenticate it and activate. I JUST had this problem when I was activating another person's device.

12. stillmaticb33 macrumors newbie

Hey man, my verizon iPhone will not activate at all either, it changed my phone number to 000000537 in iTunes and will not activate to VZW's towers... vzw or apple was unsure what to do about it. Please email me if you find out ANYTHING to do with how to fix it. Plus i was unable to restore it to 4.2.8 so my phone is literally an iPod Touch... i DFU'd and uninstalled iTunes 5 and reinstalled iTunes 3.1 and tried to option+restore the 4.2.8 ipsw and it gives me error code 1603/1604--- anyone know what to do about that???? I would appreciate anything!

hayesm05@students.ecu.edu

13. stillmaticb33 macrumors newbie

my UDID is registered, so what do I do now that my iPhone 4 is not activated on the cellular service now? you saying I can get Xcode and activate my iPhone? if so, can i get some decently specific details? lol I'm desperate

14. stillmaticb33 macrumors newbie

So you're saying I can use xode to activate my device? kinda confused since my UDID is registered with apple--

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Happened with me too before it decided to just die on me and not do anything but show the Apple logo. I'll give you one piece of advice: never EVER contact the verizon tech team. They are literally completely clueless about anything. My phone was literally bricked so I had to take it to Apple and they fixed it by doing a different kind of DFU mode (I know how the DFU works but the key combinations this guy pressed completely skipped the Apple logo on my phone altogether and no it wasn't the hold power and home and let go off power and hold home key combination).
    To the 2nd poster - iOS5 is VZW compatible - the author of that article is an idiot.
    To the OP: try doing a restore and then redoing it. It is possible that your UDID may not have gone through because that was the reason along with a computer clash for my iPhone - try to reenter it.

Edit: just read the post above mine - that is EXACTLY what happened to mine including the iTunes steps and errors. Did you also get an error 1603? Your best bet is to take it to Apple and get it fixed there or get it replaced and then not fiddle with this beta.

16. stillmaticb33 macrumors newbie

I was able to restore my iPhone to 4.2.8 today--- DFU mode and a different laptop and it worked, still wont connect to VZW towers, but thats the least of my worries right now

17. GroceryHauler macrumors newbie

You must dial *228 from your iPhone and select the option to activate phone.

18. mbaverizon macrumors newbie

i had mine registard and everything is working but i want to go back to the 4.2.8 , i tried on itunes but it wont do it, anything i might be doing wrong you guys can think of??

19. 21ce macrumors member

Did you connect your iphone, run xcode open the "ORGANIZER" window and click the use as development tool button? These are the steps I had to do in order for the phone to activate:

1)register the UDID on the "Provisional" Apple website (under devices)
    2)Run Xcode, Open the "Organizer" window (if does not auto open can be found under the "Window" tab on the top of the screen)
    3) click the use as development tool button (let it run through it's authentication and certification
    4)restart the phone

Hope this helps

20. shadrap macrumors 6502

Mine activated wirelessly. No problems what so ever and iOS 5 is great.

21. dylan.aslinger macrumors newbie

did you add your device UUID to the provisioning portal?

22. oodl, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

oodl macrumors newbie

i had this same problem when upgrading my verizon iphone 4. i had "restore from backup" from a 4.3.3 att iphone backup. all the data and settings were fine, but the service didn't work.

i couldn't make phone calls out and couldn't get any calls in. calling in didn't even go to my voicemail. it just kept ringing. i did have my UDID connected to my dev account.

here is the solution that worked for me:
    to activate your phone and make calls, dial *228 then press 1 to activate.
    if it says "roaming" instead of "verizon" on top next to signal bar, dial *228 and press option 2.

after these 2 steps, i can now make and receive calls without any issues.