iOS 5 Beta Won't Update to iOS 5 Regular

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by deankroker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. deankroker macrumors newbie

I am running iOS 5 GM Seed (and am a developer) and cannot update to iOS 5 Regular. Does anyone know of a way to do this without restoring my device? Or does anyone know where I can download the ipsw file? This is bumming me out! :cool::apple:

2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

The GM is the same exact ipsw as the public release. Your iTunes should say your iPhone is up to date. You don't need to update anything!

3. deankroker thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction... my iPad is running the GM (which says I don't need to update anything), but my iPhone is still running an older beta (and still says I don't need to update)... which makes me think I do, in fact, need to update both.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Huh? Why would you need to update both? Just update the iPhone.

How is it that so many so-called developers don't know what GM means?

5. AppleSimon macrumors regular

I had this issue. I downloaded the IPSW from an external site, then just hit alt + click on the restore button and selected the IPSW file. Took a few attempts after getting and Internal Error but sorted now. Just restoring from my backup now.

6. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

I have the beta 7 release, and I thought it would automatically update to the GM but on iTunes it says it's up to date already. :confused:

I went on the Dev center but I cannot find the download link for iOS 5 GM :mad:

HOw do I upgrade to the final release?

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

The GM is the public release. It was just made available early for devs so they could test their final app builds against it and submit them. There was a month between beta 7 and GM so yeah, devs got it early as always.

You're going to have to restore. That's the fun of running beta iOS. Just restore, and then restore from backup (make a backup before you restore) and it should have everything back on your phone.

Just click restore in iTunes. Should work. Make sure you backup beforehand (or use iCloud backup and make sure its recent!)

8. deankroker thread starter macrumors newbie

See that's the problem... my iPhone isn't running the Golden Master and Apple took it off their developer site... so now I'm stuck running an old beta.

Also, the Golden Masters is apparently different than the main release...so that makes both my iPhone and iPad out of date OS-wise.

9. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

It's not. Same build number, same everything.

10. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Click restore in the latest iTunes and it will download the proper software update.

11. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

Hey y'all

if you have the beta like I did go here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1247406

someone posted the final release of the ios 5. you just download it and restore everything. then you would have the final release.

Also, I wish Apple would allow u to upgrade automtically from betas to the final release in iTunes w/o going through this tedious process again.

12. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Its not happening, it says that my current OS version is the most current version from itunes, I have beta 7 that i had installed.

Any easy way to get the latest build ?

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

AFAIK, Apple has always required a fresh install and never allowed an upgrade from a beta to the final release. If people don't like this, don't join the beta program.

14. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Clicking restore or update?

15. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

then, Apple should put the final release download link in the Apple Dev Center.
    I looked and looked and I don't see the download link for the final release in the Apple Dev Center. I had to get the final .ipsw file from here.

16. Dheald macrumors member

It's not like the .ipsw's are all that hard to find...

If you're a developer, one assumes you know how to use a search engine.

17. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If you're running beta 7, you need to click RESTORE to get to the public release build. Apple stated pretty much that on the iOS Dev Center site, which is where you should've legitimately got the beta in the first place.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If you click Restore it will download the IPSW from Apple's servers. You wouldn't get that error using Restore because you're not "updating."

19. TC25 macrumors 68020

...and why would Apple put the GA version in the Dev center? GA doesn't equal Dev. They put the GM version, which equals the GA version, there.

20. deankroker thread starter macrumors newbie

This works, thank you.