iOS 5 bugs list

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xgm541, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Since the dev seed is available, lets get a bug thread going.

Ive been using mine for about an hour now, none to report thus far.

2. elan123 macrumors 6502

If starting a bug thread... shouldn't you at least have a bug to add??

Bwahaha..

3. backeby macrumors newbie

backeby

Well, 3G connectivity seems not to work in certain app store apps. Works in Facebook for example, while other apps claim i'm not connected(when i am). Have they changed some API relating to this??

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

1. If you go to Wallpaper in Settings, the roll will show up blank. Nothing but a white screen.

2. You can't sync more than 1 month of mail if you're using GMail Exchange. Maybe bug? Hopefully.

5. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It hasnt been enough time yet!

so far so good.

6. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Turned location services on and then off for the "Reminders" app and now the option to remind based on location is missing and wont come back.

7. craigreilly macrumors newbie

bugs

-Photo App - trying to delete photos crashes.
    -Calendar App - can not save new calendar entries.
    -Calendar App - for some reason I have multiple Exchange Calendar folders. There was only 1 when I started this morning.
    -Wallpaper folder - Empty.

8. craigreilly macrumors newbie

Are you testing on Phone or Pad ?
    I do not see location based reminders on the iPad. Maybe I am missing it.

9. f00f, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

f00f macrumors 65816

1. Lock your phone
    2. double-click home button to bring up camera control
    3. tap camera control to launch the camera
    4. hold camera in landscape
    5. tap the button to bring up the images library
    6. observe the wonky screen
    7. Not an issue when using the camera app normally (i.e. when launched from an unlocked screen)

Oh and this thing has devoured my battery. 70% in 6 hours. But usage has been high today. ;)

Edit:
    - in Month view in my corporate Exchange calendar I'm seeing dots on days with no events!

Edit2: battery abuse. Looking grim!
    [​IMG]

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I was just about to start one of these threads....whilst the beta is very usable, there are some bugs that are kinda serious!
    I am using an iPad 2 wifi

1. Music app is all over the place...sticks and jumps about a lot, plays next song with last songs title...freezes too
    2. If you set banner notifications on for mail, and lock the screen, if you receive a mail the whole iPad freezes up with a black screen...need. T reboot
    3. Most things not syncing to iCloud yet. Can't edit email data associated with iCloud, i.e switch from MobileMe to gmail or other. Locks it to first one entered. Don't think this is correct.
    4. Seems to be an issue with app updates,,,don't show properly in app store app.
    5. Backup to iCloud seems to take forever!!! The OS loading bar is sticky and jumps back and forth with its estimations if u move to another setting....these too are sticking a bit

Apart from that,,,that I've noticed, everything seems to work out ok. Animations are smooth, gestures work better than on 4.3 and no wifi issues or safari or app issues...I got 150 apps and tested them all to see if they work ok. I am not listing them though! Most of the woes are around the mix of MobileMe and iCloud accounts which is probably expected at this stage, but the ios is pretty good, cant wait for beta 2!

11. iKennett macrumors 6502

Exchange doesn't play nice when it pushes a policy to encrypt.

"Policy Requirement - The Exchange requires encryption which is not supported on this iPhone" the only way to dismiss the alert is to click "Disable".

12. o JRoD o macrumors member

o JRoD o

Saving an image that I receive via SMS does not save to the camera roll. Not a huge deal, as I can just take a screen-shot.

13. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Safari crashed a few times while browsing the web. Settings app closed and wouldn't come back for about 15 minutes (i.e. I closed it in task manager, reopened and it was blank). Safari doesn't always scroll in web pages, have to reload the page totally.

14. iKennett macrumors 6502

+1 had a simular issue but only took around 60 seconds.

15. mgford11 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone else's battery sucking hard? Used to be able to go half the day before hitting 80% with solid usage. I've hit 70% twice today.

Also, I have no wallpapers, only the pictures taken since the restore in the camera roll.

16. Mascots, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

On 3Gs there hasn't been really much more battery drain than I would have on iOS 4. I mean, it's at like 48% after being on standby for 5hrs and used for about 4:15hrs...

A big bug I came across was with the messages app: while talking to about 4 people (3 SMS and 1 iMessage) the app crashed and badged at 3 unread messages and the notifications center reported only 1, then I couldn't relaunch the app (it would keep crashing and wasn't receiving incoming messages) until I restarted my phone.

Another bug I ran into was the crashing of Springboard and it not relaunching. Maybe an hour after playing with it, while opening the notification center, it crashed and it just showed the app I was in and pushing the home button wouldn't send me back to Springboard. The multitasking tray still worked, though. After like 10 minutes or so it came back and started operating correctly.

My bugs have mostly been random (me not doing anything specific or memorable).

17. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

iOS 5 Compatibility Report (huge, tons of tested titles!)

(Posting here as the official Apple forums are down so I can't share my thoughts, warnings etc. with anyone there.)

First and foremost, the current iOS5 beta1 on the iPad2 is far-far mor reliable than 4.2 beta1 was on the iPad1 back in September, 2010. That is, if you are afraid of installing it because of your bad experience with (early) 4.2 beta builds, just go on and install.

HOWEVER! This only applies to the Wi-Fi iPad2 (it's the only iOS device I've installed iOS5 on). I can't speak for the iPhone / iPod Touches / 3G iPad2 models / iPad1 at all.

Also, make sure you thoroughly read my report. While compatibility with existing titles seems to be 99%, if you play iPhone game titles, the lack of antialisation will COMPLETELY ruin your experience. (Yes, I know what I speak about and yes, this build of iOS5 does lack antialiasing – don't tell me my eyes are bad.)

So far, I like the most:

- the iBooks dictionary is accessible anywhere where the standard copy/paste control is accessible. (Also works with the officially available iBooks.) Then, just tap the new menu item „Define” to look up the word. It's, apart from not having the spoken version of the word (it does have the standard English spelling and pronunciation help, though), vastly superior to the scriptlet-based, commercial solution (Tap-Dictionary; http://itunes.apple.com/app/tap-dictionary/id420174330?mt=8 ) so far available for any UIWebView-based, scriptlet-capable apps (Web browsers, mainly). The only downside is that it can only search for English language words, while the service can look up in any language.

- iTunes syncing in the background, while you can go on doing your work in the foreground, with almost no speed impact. (At least on the quick iPad2) This is a KILLER feature and ALONE makes it worth upgrading to iOS5!

- in MP4 files, embedded subtitles are rendered with bigger chars (no need to use third party movie players any more)

Third party app / game compatibility report

I've tested it with almost all video players (DOTORI PLAYER By JUNG DISK 1.3.4; BUZZ Player HD by BUGUN Software 1.8; Movie Player – Plays any Video! By Dominic Rodemer; ATK Player By Khoa Tran Anh 2.0; Azul Media Player - Video player for your iPad By Gplex 2.0; AVPlayerHD By EPLAYWORKS.Co.Ltd 1.422; eXPlayer HD By Zhigang Chen 1.3; GoodPlayer By Hustmobile 2.1; Sub Video Player for iPad By Noteloop 1.0 (=Remux MKV Player); OPlayer HD By olimsoft 1.0.16; VLC (AppStore); yxplayer By mobilesoft.kr 1.2.5; CineXPlayer – The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies By NXP Software B.V. 1.6.1), Operation Wow HD, Orions2 (games), Sygic Aura / iGo Primo / Navigon Navigator (nav apps; tested with European maps), GoodReader (the best e-book / PDF reader / annotator), and 360 Browser / Atomic Web / Opera Mini / iCab Mobile (Web browsers). Of them, it was only with iCab Mobile that it immediately crashed upon trying to load any Web page (including the default iCab homepage); no problems encountered with the other browsers so far.

Speaking of video players, hardware MP4 decoding doesn't work in one (excellent) third party video player app (AVPlayerHD By EPLAYWORKS.Co.Ltd 1.422); with it, you need to switch to software decoding. The other video player apps are not affected and I haven't noticed any video playback speed degradation with any of them, compared to 4.3.3 on the same iPad2 (I've tested with tons of video formats - just working on a major roundup of video players -, about half of them high-res).

Problems

Brightness

While Apple state it'll be easier to decrease the brightness level in third party apps (just like in iBooks), this should be made system-wide. While my iOS5 iPad2 is a tad darker (when the brightness knob is completely on the left) than my iOS 4.3.3 iPad1, sometimes even darker rendition would be preferable.

Still glitchy scrolling in UIWebView-based apps

The same ugly stuttering while scrolling as before – nothing seem to be changed. This almost completely ruins the experience of any third-party Web browser (except for Opera Mini, which isn't UIWebView-based).

No anti-aliasing in 2x iPhone emulation mode! (Gamers attention!)

This is a MAJOR problem and makes iPhone titles pretty much useless; with games, unplayable. Tested with Orions2, Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Real Soccer 2011 (some of them having Retina support, some others don't) – all pixelizated. Speaking of Retina, Apple still doesn't seem to want to support Retina screen emulation. It's probably the only reason I'm still jailbreaking my iPad 1...

No audio resume

If you sync in the background while the active app plays music, playback may not resume (e.g., Orions 2). This isn't a problem of OS5, though, and will surely be addressed by game devs.

Crashes resulting from memory shortage

While I certainly welcome the new memory / reference handling / counting model (pretty much the same as automatic garbage collection on OS X), the BIGGEST problem with iOS, that is, the immediate app crash upon running out of memory, hasn't been addressed. This should be the FIRST thing Apple takes a look at!

Needless to say, UIWebView still seems to use a LOT of memory – no changes there either, unfortunately.

18. nextgeneric macrumors member

Observed on CDMA iPhone 4:

After taking an image and saving it in the camera app, delete it. The thumbnail of the last taken image -- deleted or not -- remains in the lower left hand corner when the viewfinder is up.

19. Thadon macrumors member

Anyone notice weird cell signal jumps? Maybe Verizon has done tower upgrades or something since they launching LTE in my town soon. But like i seem to have full service then it will drop sometimes to 2 bars in the same spot. Then go back to full bars a couple minutes later. Idk just seems really weird. I don't think I had this before.

20. California King macrumors 65816

When syncing with my computer, the screen no longer turns on to say "Syncing In Progress," the screen just stays off.

21. darnovo macrumors regular

the newsstand app can't be deleted or put into a folder... it's permanently sitting there

22. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

You can use the device while it's syncing now.

23. jakartadogdown macrumors newbie

so far so good for me

battery was good :thumbup:

24. Spoolin414 macrumors newbie

I noticed while in call the caller timer is way off, but than when I goto my home screen and have the green bar on the top with the call timer it is correct.

25. Slartibartphast macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It may be coincidental but my audio Bluetooth is dropping out/crackling. That's with some apps other than music.

The music app for sure is not in a good state. Stutters and on my car screen when plugged in got titles jumbled.

Get blank connect to wifi a lot.

Battery drain for sure is heavier.