Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneconfused

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
New York State
IOS 5 Calendar has a little red dot followed by a line that indicates what time it is on the face of the calendar. Yesterday we reverted to standard time from daylight savings time, but the red dot indicator remained on daylight savings time. I have turned the phone off and on, changed the time support zone setting on and off multiple times and even changed the location of the phone, but nothing seems to reset this little time indicator. Does anyone know how to fix this?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
IOS 5 Calendar has a little red dot followed by a line that indicates what time it is on the face of the calendar. Yesterday we reverted to standard time from daylight savings time, but the red dot indicator remained on daylight savings time. I have turned the phone off and on, changed the time support zone setting on and off multiple times and even changed the location of the phone, but nothing seems to reset this little time indicator. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Just checked my phone and while the time on the phone itself shows up correctly (EST), the Day view on Calendar.app shows up an hour later (EDT). Must be a bug.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same problem here. Central time. Calendar red balloon thinks the time is an hour ahead.

Btw, WHY can't apple get DST right? How hard is it?

bradleyjx

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Madison, WI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Btw, WHY can't apple get DST right? How hard is it?

Because this problem is going to happen with almost everything, every time.

You've got hundreds (maybe thousands) of laws defining DST across the world, all different, differing based on what country you're in, what territory/state you're in, and even what city you're in. These change frequently, and often on little-to-no notice. (I believe Russia decided not to call off switching from DST this year, two weeks before it was supposed to)

In addition, you need that massive database to keep track of all the timezone shifts, and that database may not necessarily be guaranteed to be accurate, or even available. The one for Linux was DMCA'd on a copyright dispute for a couple weeks about a month ago.

In short - "What time is it?" is probably the most deceptively difficult question you've ever asked someone in programming.

---

This isn't an argument for Apple - just a contextual argument on the general subject of time in computing. I would assume the bug comes from these devices basing their Time Zone information on certain information, and when daylight savings occurs, they don't ping out to get that information again for a good while. (i.e. their geolocation and their pinging of time servers aren't connected)

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Because this problem is going to happen with almost everything, every time...

If it is important to you you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse.

True this is not a trivial problem but guess what it's been solved by many different people on many different platforms for many years. Why is it that Apple can't solve it? There's no question in my mind regarding their ability to solve it, it's just a matter of priority. Some day when the list of bigger fish is "fried" they'll get to it.

Additionally sure the rules change all the time. However iOS 5 just came out what a month ago? Have the rules changed that much since then. I can say conclusively NO! It should at least behave correctly until the rules in your locale change, no? When they do change there are numerous ways to handle pushing updates. And sure there are always going to be corner conditions like DST differences in Australia depending upon whether or not they are hosting the Olympics etc. However the vast majority of the rules are straight forward. And the vast majority of them DO NOT change frequently.

Not sure what your definition of massive is but the tzdata package in most linux distributions is on the order of 10M. There are others (http://www.iana.org/time-zones) that do it around 800K.

Finally I'm assuming you're referring to the lawsuit around the end of September. This actually had nothing to do with "the" database (IANA TZ database that is) but everything to do with unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted data in mailing list archives and other links.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
... In short - "What time is it?" is probably the most deceptively difficult question you've ever asked someone in programming.

Your point is well made, but for my situation at least it seems overblown. I have all of the auto-detect time zone features turned off as well as the options for iCal to adjust its displayed events to a current time zone. (Turning them on does not resolve the issue.)

While I appreciate that it might not be just as simple as iCal taking the time from the iPhone and/or iPad (happening on both for me), the fact that a calendar program is displaying the wrong time while the clock program has it correct is an embarrassing bug, and going to make things frustrating when my alerts become useless tomorrow.

photobe.png

iphoneconfused

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
New York State
I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here. My calendar time is correct. I am being alerted to my events at the correct time. My issue is that little red ballon on the left side of the screen that gives you an indication of what the time is relative to your daily calendar. While everything else in my iphone (including the calendar itself) is displaying the correct time, that little balloon is not. Is there a distinct setting for it?

BCCISProf

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
The red calendar dot was wrong yesterday. This morning it appears to have self corrected. (in NYC)

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Earlier this morning it simply wasn't there, but now it is working properly on my iPhone, and the iPad as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.