iOS 5 changes "iPod" app to "Music"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SXR, Jun 7, 2011.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I just checked out the macrumors article called "iOS 5 Beta available for Devs, first hands on". In the article you can see a screengrab from an iPhone running iOS 5. What stood out to me is that the iPod app got replaced by a new icon called "Music", just like on the iPod Touch.

I thought , what the hell? Why? Also, in the iPod app, you got more than just music ( video's podcasts etc ). So whats up with this? Or am I just being stupid?

Thanks for your posts.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right now all 3 iOS devices do this differently:

iPhone: 'iPod' does both music and video
    iPod Touch: 'Music' does music and 'Video' does video
    iPad: 'iPod' does music and 'Video' does video

So now iCloud is gonna sync your apps and setting between devices if you want. Something's gotta give, I guess they decided to make them all the same. Looks like they'll be making the iPhone and iPad match the way the iPod Touch does it.

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Yeah , but it doesnt make sense for me. I mean, why change iPod to Music? They should've just left it like it was.

Thanks for your post.

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Personally I'm not happy about the switch, though my reasons are pretty vain. Visually, I think the iPod icon looked much better than the Music one. I also liked having an iPod app because I knew no other phone could have that; everyone else just had a music app ... we had an iPod. It was an Apple thing. Now, we have a Music app, too.

All that said, I do understand the change and believe it is minor. Especially amongst the giant bag of amazingness that iOS 5 brings.

5. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

You , sir , just summed up what I meant in the first place. Thank you.