ios 5: clearing notification center still leaves badges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kate9, Jun 10, 2011.

1. kate9 macrumors newbie

in ios 5 if you read all the notifications from the notifications center (such as text previews and see missed calls) and clear them individually or all at once, the apps still show unread badges and unseen phone calls as they havent been opened yet.

what is the point of this, clearing them in notification center should clear the apps too. i can see i got 5 missed calls from whoever in the notification center and clear it, i dont need to open phone app to clear it again.

2. Switchview macrumors newbie

I noticed this also, however it is still a beta, not a final version :)

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Goddamnit, I need to get a developer account. 100$ a year is worth not being out of the conversation for months at a time. This blows.

4. Switchview macrumors newbie

Just google it and you will get you're UDID registered for a few $$.
    Someone added me for 5 dollar.

5. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

6. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

You can turn off the badges for any app that has them, even the phone and sms apps

7. mms13 macrumors 6502

Yeah but I like the badges. I want the badges. But I agree that they should clear when you clear an alert from notification center.

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can turn the badges off. This is not a bug. This is how I would want it, personally.

9. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Agreed! Badges show (in most cases) how many unread items there are in a certain program. Clearing notifications doesn't alter the fact that these messages have not yet been read.

For example if I have a comic reader that alerts me to the release of a new comic. I may read this notification and clear it off while i'm doing other stuff and don't have time to read the actual comic just yet. It doesn't negate the fact that I still haven't read that comic. The badge reminds me that I still have comics to read. Removing that badge on clearing notifications would possibly mean i'd miss a comic.

Another example is a shopping list app I have. It uses badges to remind me how many items I have in my shopping list. If that app sent a notification to me reminding me to go shopping it would then clear the badge so I wouldn't know how many items I need to purchase.

10. RulinSmoove macrumors member

RulinSmoove

Sent you a PM regarding UDID registration.

11. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I want the option of having an icon in the status bar INSTEAD of a badge so that I know things are in the notification center that needs my attention. This is what Android has right?

I also want notifications to stay on the lock screen until I clear them. Right now they go away when the phone is unlocked. I can't tell if this is a bug or what they want to happen.

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i wish they put if anything just calls, texts and maybe emails in the status bar. i think the reason they didn't though is because it can get crowded for some people. for example if your on att and use a microcell, wifi or 3G, then an alarm, rotation lock, location services, battery percentage. its like they didn't put it there because it would get to crowded and wouldn't fit. most people it wouldnt but for some it would. what they should do is have an option for an icon and if you have space it goes into the status bar. if you dont have space then you get a badge. for example if you a spot open and you get a call you get a missed call icon in the bar. then you get a text. the phone would know you dont have space in the bar and give you a badge instead. i guess that would kind of confusing to have so many things but i cant think of another way to approach it. i guess just keep requesting it on the iphone feedback page and hope they put it in before the final beta.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

They just need an icon to indicate you have notifications in the notification center, period. Don't need to distinguish what kind of notification. That is what the center is for!

14. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

true, didnt think of that, im still a little sleepy :eek:. they should make it a circle with the number of notifications you have, kind of like a white badge up in the status bar. there was a mockup of something like this before on here and i really liked it.

15. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Everyone who does this needs to understand something. If that developer erases you from the list or Apple closes their account for selling UDID slots.. you may be left with a brick until the public release of iOS5.

If you want to play with the beta pay the price, $99.

16. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

They can roll back to 4.3.3.

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

No worries!

18. The DRis macrumors 6502

Well said.

If I get 5 emails, that takes up a chunk of the notification center. I want to clear them, but they have not been read yet.

Same with texts. I may just be checking up on my phone but not have time other than a quick glance to see it's just my friends and not my boss or wife. Clear them to make room for new one's that might be important.

When I go back to the home screen, the badges now tell me where I need to go next in case I forget, or come back at a later time.

As was said before, you can turn badges off if you want. Apple did a great job at letting you choose exactly what it is you want displayed.

19. chadclawson macrumors newbie

I totally agree. A badge to me is a "notification" just like the notifications in notification center, which is different than an "indicator" that something is not read, that is what the blue indicator is for next to unread texts and emails. For that reason they should be linked together, that way if I want the badge to clear I can clear it from notification center. If I want the badge to show me that there is an unread "whatever" than I just won't clear it out of the notification center. And I don't have to worry about cluttering up the notification center because I can have to newest notifications on top and I don't have to scroll down and see them if I don't want to.

As much as I LOVE iOS 5, there are a couple of thing like this that piss me off because they don't make sense to me. I would also like the option to clear a notification from locks screen and like someone said, an indicator in the status bar is needed.

20. chadclawson macrumors newbie

By the way. What does the green light next to some of these posts indicate?

21. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

User is online

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think the Notifications are working just right. It enables me to look at my screen, see what notifications I have and clear the screen without having to go in an app. Then, LATER, when I want to do something about returning those emails or phone calls, etc, I can unlock my phone and see the badges as reminders of all the notifications I cleared off my Lock Screen. Makes sense to me...