iOS 5 Code Signing Bug Makes Jailbreaking Easier, Don't Update to iOS 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Applejuiced, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pod2g has announced that the code signing bug Charlie Miller found in iOS 5 will make creating a jailbreak much easier and warns users not to update to iOS 5.0.1.

Note about 5.0.1 : don't update if you plan on jbking : the bug Charlie MILLER found can simplify exploits dramatically and will be closed.

Just two days ago, pod2g announced that he had found a vulnerability that could untether the jailbreak for iOS 5. At that time we were told not to expect a release soon; however, Miller's bug could speed up the timetable for release.

2. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well that sucks. I certainly don't want to update to ios5 until I know that I can get an untethered jb but it sounds like there may be a very short window to update to it once Apple releases their next update. It's not looking very good for the jailbreaking community right now.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Sucks we'll have to choose between some actual god bug fixes and battery life (5.0.1) versus jailbreak (5.0.0). I'm so desperate for a jailbreak it's no question which I'll choose, but still ...

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Same boat I'm in. Sounds like the safest thing to do is go with the tethered jb on ios5 for now - that way we'll already be on 5.0 so we won't miss out on a possible untethered jb for 5.0 if it comes out. I'm just concerned that the all of the jb apps I use aren't 5.0-compatible yet. Plus the whole tethered thing worries me.

6. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    My battery sucks on my 4S.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I will jailbreak to capture the blobs then load 5.0.1 in hopes the battery life issue is fix.
    The battery is bad enough that it sits in its box and I am using the ip4

8. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

as of iOS5, blobs are a thing of the past.

9. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Good post Applejuiced! But I can just imagine how many people will be overwhelmed with information overload now that Apple will be pushing the updates over the air...Press cancel people or update later, whatever the case may be...just don't press install or yes! Please for the love of god don't press those buttons!! lol

Hey AJ...in terms of your crappy battery life, have you turned off the following:

-time zone setting
    -diagnostics
    -time zone support under mail/calender/contacts (at the bottom)
    -ask to join wifi
    -location based iads
    -turn your auto lock down to 1 minute
    -helps if you keep your equalizer to default
    -auto brightness off

-I turned off ALL iCloud services, except for findmyiphone
    -I also keep my bluetooth off until I need it

10. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Not necessarily. If the untethered jailbreak requires a clean (non-jailbroken) phone to work then you would have to restore to 5.0 to get rid of your tether jailbreak, which you won't be able to do after 5.0.1 comes out.

The safest thing to do is go with unjailbroken 5.0 for now.

11. maturola, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

BUt...but...but I was under the impression that the A5 fixed all the SHSHs bugs.....:eek: :eek:

Oh wait,..wrong thread...

I actually tested the Miller's bug, it is pretty scary how well it works :eek:

12. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Are they really though? Musclenerd said they are working on it, and we might be able to downgrade iOS versions in the future.

13. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Notcom was and I think still is working on a firmware install program that will bypass the whole itunes and shsh check completelly so not sure if or when that will be possible but there is also other talks about workarounds on the new shsh blob security method.
    We just gotta wait and hope we get hooked up in the future.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It will probably always be impossible to replay SHSH BLOBs for iOS 5. It is possible that another downgrade path will be discovered and of course they are working on it, but that does NOT mean that you should upgrade now. MuscleNerd has been very clear that we should wait.

15. psykick5 macrumors 6502

16. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info bro, thanks.
    I'm gonna go in and make sure all that is off.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

I will give you props for admitting it. Not blaming girlfriend, wife, ex, dog, cat etc.. 1st thing about jailbreaking never rush the updates. ;)

18. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

the only problem with everyone's advice is that pod2g's untethered and musclenerds 4s jailbreak are on different time lines. The 4s jailbreak might come out a month after pod2g's untethered, and therefore, by the time it comes out, a untethered for 5.0.1 might be out.

The not updating really applies more to non ipad 2 and 4s people.

19. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Quick question, can I still update to iOS 5? Or am I too late to the party? :(

*iPhone 4*

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can try. I was able to get 5.0 gm SHSH BLOBs for my 3GS and my wife's this afternoon after the release, so if your lucky Apple will not have stopped signing.

----------

This is horrendous advice. Both MuscleNerd and pod2g have given clear warnings that nobody should upgrade until they are sure where things are going. Ignore them if you think you know better, but don't advise other people to do so, please.

21. hel22 macrumors member

You can try. I was able to get 5.0 gm SHSH BLOBs for my 3GS and my wife's this afternoon after the release, so if your lucky Apple will not have stopped signing.

How do I do that?