iOS 5 - could Apple get sued for the new features?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by radiohead14, Jun 6, 2011.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

sorry to point out the obvious to some.. but iOS 5 looks to have implemented Android's notification system and Blackberry's BBM. when you make a statement like "2011, the year of the copycats".. isn't this a bit hypocritical? did Apple change these systems enough to avoid lawsuits? i mean if people argue that Samsung's Touchwiz icons look similar enough to iOS.. then wouldn't this be a stronger case against Apple?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

No, won't happen. They are Apple. They innovate & don't resort to "unscrupulous" ways such as copying others. Most probably a bit later, they will be the ones who sue others for copying their new iOS5 features instead. LOL! :p

Just kidding, of course. :)

3. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Apple steals and copies just like every other company. Dont expect virtuous behaviour from a multi billion dollar giant lol. I'm happy apple "borrowed" from android. Was hoping they would steal some more lol

4. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't get me wrong.. i love that Apple have implemented these.. i love how notifications work on Android.

i also just noticed how the notifications on the lockscreen work just like Samsung's Touchwiz for messages...

5. kalex macrumors 65816

haha samsung should sue apple now :)

as far as suing i don't think android can sue for notifications because now they are magical and magic will win over our court system :)

6. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i guess "competition is indeed good"! with Apple taking some of the best features from Android, BB, and i think i saw parts of Palm's stuff there to improve their OS. now where was that thread about the "meme" thing...

hopefully this will end the back and forth mud slinging about so and so only copies and there's no innovation. everyone needs influences in order to grow/develop. Google will see this as Apple now having features that were once exclusive to them and in turn.. will find new ways to differentiate Android once more.. and vice versa.

7. sam011989 macrumors regular

I may be wrong, but I believe apple got a patent for this type of notification system years ago...just never implemented it.

Again....i may have my info bass ackwards

8. dionnfr macrumors member

Who really cares; it doesn't effect us, let the big boys worry about it, and just enjoy IOS 5.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not to mention, IRC LockScreenInfo had this system before Android implemented it.

10. sam011989 macrumors regular

and i actually think its not WHAT is implemented, but it's HOW its implemented (at the code level) that determines the court case.

11. weespeed macrumors 6502

Source?

I think you have it the other way around.

12. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

I bet the most recent "renewed contract on maps in iOS" had something to do with apples notifications looking almost identical to android.

Apple probably went to android and proposed a deal where they would reup the maps contract for X years in exchange for using very similar notifications. Not to mention they may and probably are paying google royalties.

No way apple would copy android with out first getting their ducks in a row.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Your wrong, Lockscreen info was around way before Android notificaiton system.

14. wovel macrumors 68000

Since Android copied two other systems I doubt it.

15. weespeed, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

weespeed macrumors 6502

I asked for source.
    The shaded notification on android has been around since android 1.6.

I only remember when lockinfo came out it was a copy of the android and that's what it was known as, "android notifications for iPhone"

And it's you're not your.

Also ios5 notifications look a lot if not almost a copy of Samsung's TouchWiz. Which is so ironic considering apple is suing Samsung