iOS 5 data usage insane

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony08, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Anthony08 macrumors newbie

I updated yesterday. It says my data usage is 2gbs when i have not even used it. Can someone help. Is it safe to go to apple. I used something called ios activator.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Not wise to take a jailbroken phone to Apple. Try restoring it and see if the problem goes away.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple won't do anything, you are using a beta OS (Betas are not covered under Warranty) and Jailbroken.

4. Anthony08 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not jailbroken. ios activator registered my phones udid with apple so i can get beta os. im gonna take it to an apple store tomorrow and see what they say

5. bob616 macrumors 6502

In iOS5 when it says data usage, that means the data that is stored on you phone, for example mine says 22gb is used and lower down it specifies that the Music app is using those 22gb to store music. Scroll down lower on that page to see your "Cellular Data Usage".

6. Anthony08 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea it says 2gbs. i dunno how this happened b/c i only have 500mb. i use my data rarely and i always have it on edge to save battery.

7. Anthony08 thread starter macrumors newbie

my phone is not JB. ios activator is something the registers my udid with apple

8. wvphysics macrumors regular

That is data usage since you last reset the statistics, not data usage over the last monthly cycle. So if you have never reset it and had the phone for 6 months you have used 2GBs over 6 months. You need to use the ATT app to see your cycle usage or manually reset your statistics every month.

9. MasterTick macrumors 6502

It's a BETA. As in the software IS NOT READY FOR GENERAL USE. Ffs

10. RagnarokRed macrumors member

^5 for this. Too bad it has to be said in every thread every time an OS goes into beta. If Apple wanted to have an open beta, they'd have had a ****ing open beta.

11. heisenberg123, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

exactly

no offence to the OP but this is a prime example of too many people using a BETA, if you dont know that that usage tracker is a rolling total then dont fool around with a BETA,

how would the phone know what your billing cycle is

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1 YOU chose to put an OS you aren't authorized to use on your phone. This is sometimes what happens. I'd be surprised if Apple (or AT&T with respect to billing) will help out. Restore your phone and hope for the best.

13. shandyman Suspended

hang on, what does the usage tracker have to do with the beta? it's in all versions of the OS, are you now just finding any excuse to bash someone for using a beta?

14. wvphysics macrumors regular

His point is that Betas for software are meant for people with some understanding of the device or software, and that also understand that the company does not support beta software or any issues that arise from using it. This OP isnt really complaining about bugs and such like others, but since he does not understand certain aspects of the device and doesnt understand that by using a Beta he prettymuch gives upand technical support, it is very likely he should not have been using it in the first place.
    I got the beta using my brothers developer account, but I also know itll come with bugs and I am responsible for that and won;t complain that apple shouldn't release buggy software or expect them to fix it when my phone craps out.
    The OP will go to the apple store and they'll say "sorry we dont support betas", but the good news for him is they'll tell him that hes probably reading the cumulative total, not monthly, then make snyde remarks when he leaves that he shouldn't be using the beta.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no, its the fact that someone that doesnt understand something as simple as the usage counter in settings has nothing to do with your carriers billing cycle should not be playing with a BETA

16. shandyman Suspended

no that's not the point at all, that's your point but not really a valid one in response to the OP.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with you and I got a beta as well through a friend of mine who is a developer (and yes I do help him test out his apps), but I have not complained once about bugs that I have come across (though I do log them and he reports them) because I was smart enough to not install betas on my main devices, I only installed it on my iPod touch and both my iPhone and iPad are still on iOS 4.3.3

@shandyman, the problem is that with beta, codes will have bugs and can sometimes report back information incorrectly and may not be an accurate usage count or in some cases, delete all of your emails not just from the device but from the sever as well (someone here on the forum complained about this).

several things can and should sometimes be expected to go wrong while using beta software from any company, and people need to understand that and not use them of their primary device.

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

iPhones have always used a lot of data. So the good news is there is nothing wrong with the phone.

Here is a good illustration.

http://goo.gl/aNLU7

19. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

This is why I like iOS4.3.3

0kb data usage in standby if you do a few tricks and get rid of the Apple connections