iOS 5 - Developers Agreement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xAnthony, Jun 8, 2011.

1. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I was reading an article today and I found it quite interesting...

When you sign up for a developers account, you need to accept some terms of agreement. Well, in the terms, it does mention how you are not allowed to share any of the information within the beta. (I.E making videos showing off the new iOS) If you go on YouTube, you'll see TONS of videos about iOS 5. (Even this forum has tons of previews and everything)

Are they started to ease up on the agreements for the publicity their getting? (Because it's quite huge) Or is it just gone that far south, that there is no way to stop it from happening. Not to mention, at least half the people getting iOS 5 aren't even developers anymore. I've seen tons of people sharing developer accounts, and even selling them off to people.

Any thoughts? I'm just curious about the subject.

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I think it's just that they can't go after the people who do it. I'm a developer who actually develops, it's unfortunate that so many threads pop up from people who know nothing about development coming here having issues with a BETA iOS that they shouldn't have in the first place.

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

It actually says you are not allowed to share any information that is not readily available or known by the public. Prior to the keynote, they would have had an issue but most of the new features are now considered "public knowledge."

4. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah that's what I mean. I know a few people who have iOS 5 installed on their iPhone's and by no means are they even interested in developing. They just wanted the new beta software, and they're paying $99/year to get it.

Apple is also making tons of money off this, because now it's not only developers, but it's actual normal consumers that are purchasing a developers account.

I have mixed feelings about this.

We really only got told about 10 new features... But after watching videos and reading up on the forums, I know a ton more of the new features. A lot more than Apple showed off in the Keynote.

What are your thoughts on non-developers using iOS 5 as their normal everyday use device.

5. green94 macrumors regular

I would never spend 99 bucks to access a beta build of free software, but it's not my money so I don't really care what other people do.

Besides clogging up these forums asking the same questions repeatedly, why would it bother you?

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I definitely wouldn't be just giving out UDID spots, I think that this type of thing hurts Apple overall.

They don't need people coming to forums to complain about beta software that they shouldn't have in the first place. I think a better way to do it is only beta in the simulator until it is much closer to release time. There is no need to have people complaining about features unrelated to the applications that they are working on.

7. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

More money and even better, feedback for Apple.

NDAs are not really enforceable unless you're popular in the industry and even then you could just create a fake account and leak stuff there.

8. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It doesn't bother me at all. I was just asking. And yeah, it's their money and they can do as they wish.

The way I see it is, the developers account has gone from a developer needing it to develop their apps and have them ready for when the new iOS is released, to paying $99/year and you get early software. (As a normal consumer)

I've seen a few people even split the cost of it, and when you split $99 3 ways, it's fairly cheap.

But are they really getting more feedback? From what I've seen on this forum, a lot of people are complaining about how things aren't working properly (Strange I know?) But I'll guarantee Apple will get a normal consumer booking an appointment with Apple to help solve their problems on iOS 5. While they should of never had the software in the first place.

Completely agree 100%.

9. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Then they absolutely deserve everything that is coming to them.

10. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I'm not a developer, and I most certainly would not pay $99/year to use BETA software that was released a day ago. I'd rather wait and get the refined version, with all the bug fixes. Especially if that version comes to me for free. I think that person who aren't developers should just stay out of it. This software needs to actually be tested and worked on by people that actually know what they're doing, not some 12 year old with their parents credit card number. But at the same time, if they pay 99 bucks out of their pocket to get that software, they should be able to talk about it as much as they want, with whoever they want. If it was free, and distributed to a handful of people, then it'd be a whole different story. Unfortunately, the only way Apple could get rid of all the 'fake' developer accounts is by raising the price drastically so that not any person would be able to afford it. Perhaps instead of paying yearly, they could just make a one time fee of $1,000?

11. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I guess.

I just find it weird that Apple released the software so early. By the time the actual iOS 5 software is released, it's going to feel like old news to developers and also the normal consumers that got their hands on iOS 5 when they shouldn't of. Which seems like a lot of people lately.

If the iPhone 5 is announced mid September, that's like 3 and a half months of beta testing. If it's released in October or November, that's 4 or 5 months of beta testing. Is that much time really necessary? I understand there are a lot of new features... But still.

Very true. And in the long run, the $1000 could be cheaper, but that would scare all the small developers away and that wouldn't be a good thing. Although, (Not sure on how many accounts you're allowed to link) But if 4-5 developers got together and split that $1000... that would definitely be worth it. Pay $200 for an account and get it permanently, instead of paying $99 yearly.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    This has been going on for years.

The first time people figured out they could get an early upgrade, Apple got a pretty good boost in "developer" numbers.

Apple is okay with that. They can brag about how many "developers" they have signed up, plus get $100 per each one. Win-win for them.

13. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah, that's the way I see it now. Oh you want to give me $100 cash a year? For using beta software that will later be released for free? Please... Take it. As a money perspective, I'm sure Apple would happily allow normal consumers to pay for the beta software. But at the same time, it's defeating the whole purpose of the developers account.

14. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Yup. But I doubt that'll happen. Apple would only be losing money and developers that way. Even the way it is now, it all sorta works out for them. They get money for beta software from impatient people, and at the same time, because more people are using the beta software, they discover bugs quicker than they would with a smaller group of developers.

15. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Well they're also working on finishing Lion which takes priority first because it has the earlier release. Then they have to make iOS work well with the new iPhone coming out alongside iOS 5, then they have to do final tweaks for existing hardware and finally prep iCloud for deployment.

It is a lot of work to be fair.

16. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

They have different teams working on os x and ios.

17. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

But sometimes one of the teams put their stuff on hold to help the other teams. Isn't that why Leopard was delayed.

18. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Well that's the exact purpose, actually... You want developers to be ready to upgrade their apps and create new apps to make everything compatible with iOS 5, so that when iOS 5 is released to the public, there will be a lot less compatibility issues.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Most people don't pay for a dev license. Check eBay and iPhone forums... there are hundreds of "dev" resellers instead.

The reseller buys a year's developer license for the $99 and then sells non-developers 99 "test" spots for anywhere from $5 to $10 each, thus making $400 to $900 profit.

It's really kind of surprising that Apple themselves don't sell beta spots for their own easy profit. Probably too much hassle answering questions, but it would sure help find bugs. The more, the merrier, since Apple internally is so secretive that pre-release debugging is probably difficult.

20. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I've already seen several videos and screencaps pulled, they def are trying to buckle down but obviously can't get everyone when there's a tidal wave of people installing it in the first few days.

I do agree, however, that the more the merrier when it comes to bug reports!

21. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Dang... $400-900 profit. That's insane.

22. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Is it technically against the rules to give out your test spots like that? I have a friend that wants me to add his UDID so he can try iOS 5, but I'm hesitant to do so because I don't know if I'm not supposed to or anything...

23. daneoni, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Nope. Worst case you claim he's testing an app you're building. Just make sure your friend knows what he's signing up for and be prepared to do tech support for him should things go wonky.