IOS 5 Downgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BraveKnight66, Jun 8, 2011.

1. BraveKnight66 macrumors newbie

HELP!!!

Sorry to create a new topic, but I need help ASAP. I've read through threads and researched several of the terms you all used that I didn't understand, such as DFU mode, but I can't get my iPhone 4 to downgrade back down to iOS 4. I just want my phone back, I don't care about any data, just downgraded back to original factor settings as soon as possible. My iTunes 10.2 would not recognize my phone in iOS 5, so I upgraded to iTunes 10.5. When I plug in my phone, it says my phone is not registered and can not be restored. PLEASE help me restore my phone, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

Put your iPhone in DFU mode, download your firmware (probably 4.3.3) somewhere online. Just google ipsw.
    Then hold shift and click restore, choose your firmware from wherever you downloaded it to.
    On Mac, I think it's command and restore.

3. BraveKnight66, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

BraveKnight66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! That helped me come across this and worked like a charm

4. eddiejsmall macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

How does this work without saving your shsh?

5. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Threads like these are really starting to get old. First off, if you're not a developer then stop playing with stuff you aren't well versed in. Especially when you don't know what you're doing and the repercussions of doing it. Sheesh!

Every year its the same thing "i upgraded to *insert new OS version* out of impulse and now that i'm bored or notice the fact that IT ACTUALLY IS A BETA...i want to go back pretty please.

Second...

iOS 4.3.3 is still the official iOS version available to the public so Apple hasn't stopped signing it.

6. eddiejsmall macrumors member

Moody much? So using this method by DFU'ing on a Verizon iPhone would work. Don't assume I don't know what I am doing, I'm a DEVELOPER, but have to use the Square Card Reader App for my business, unfortunately it isn't supported by using 5.0! So that is why I need to go back.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

My iPhone is Verizon, so I'm currently on 4.2.6, but I believe the latest was 4.2.8, correct? I'm a developer and I already upgraded my iPad to iOS 5, but I didn't do my iPhone yet since it is my primary phone. But seeing people who are able to revert back to iOS 4 makes me a little more ready to go for it and try it out.

I am jailbroken and I have saved my shsh 4.2.6... so if I do end up having problems with iOS 5 and need to revert, would I use TinyUmbrella to restore shsh, and then iTunes to restore the phone? I've never done this before so I'm not quite sure what the process is.

Thanks!

8. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I'm not moody i'm just saying. Ultimately it doesn't affect me so i don't care much.

I don't own a Verizon device so i can't really say for sure but Apple hasn't stopped signing the last 4.x.x version for Verizon phones either seeing as 5.0 isn't out officially. So...a simple DFU, then Alt+Restore should be fine.

That said i'm not sure if it downgrades the baseband accordingly...maybe/maybe not. But the OS downgrade will work.

9. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

If threads like this are getting old, then stay out of it. I can't believe the gall of some people who think they own a patent on beta testing Apple software and ream anyone else who would like to use the software.

This just in...Apple charges $99 for a developer's license, if a person pays that, they have the right to beta test the software just as you do and shouldn't be chastised for posting a question asking for help. That's fine if you don't want to help, that's your prerogative, but the hateful, snooty posts paint you in the worst light, IMO.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Granted. But what percentage of these posters wanting to revert back do you think are paid developers? It's probably pretty slim.

11. Kariya, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Er...what?

My comment wasn't towards those who are genuinely interested in testing the beta. Its for non-devs (a dev would likely know what DFU mode means) who think getting the beta means getting iOS 5 before everyone else and are then shocked by the fact that it is indeed a beta.

If you want to test the software then absolutely go for it. Just know you're testing the software and consequently be prepared for everything that comes with that territory.