iOS 5 File for iPhone 4S Changed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Oct 21, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So tonight I decided to restore my iPhone 4S and set it up from scratch. iTunes had to redownload the file. This time I notice the file is larger then the first time it downloaded when it was released last week. Any idea if they could have changed the iOS file?

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Nope same size at 796 MB.

Size: 796 MB (835,490,060 bytes)
    On Disk: 796 MB (835,493,888 bytes)

Thomas it looks like a shameless post to flog your blog.... :mad::rolleyes::eek:

Dave

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

No, sorry.

When I downloaded the file to upgrade my iPhone 4 the file was definitely smaller... I don't remember the exact size, but it was something like 774.4 or 744.4.

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Well then you should change the title of your thread since it clearly states:
    iOS 5 File for iPhone 4S Changed?

So which is it please, are you trying this on an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S? Maybe you should blog about it. :D:eek::confused:

Dave

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I originally update my iPhone 4. When I got my 4S, I restored it from a backup, but today decided I wanted to set it up from new. The file was bigger then when I updated the 4.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why would you expect the iOS firmware to be the same size for two different models? With different features (Siri) and internal hardware differences (baseband chip, camera, gpu) it'd be very surprising if they were the same.

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I never stopped and thought about it. If you had a disk with Snow Leopard on it, it was one disk for all different MacBook Pros, Mac Pros or iMacs for example. Didn't stop to think it would be different.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Each device has their own version of the iOS 5 image. Mainly because you will only be installing it on that one device, so you might as well not waste space with drivers for hardware that isn't included on the device.

And now with iOS 5 it doesn't matter as much as you have delta updates rather than the entire image.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

I understand. The difference is a typical Snow Leopard disk would carry all the stuff needed for all different machines and configurations, installing only what is needed as the installation software figures out what's appropriate to the system.

The iOS images are more like a recovery disk image built to each specific model so they can just be flashed to firmware and no decision-making is required from iTunes during the Recovery process. Thus they're specific to the phone and device model.