iOS 5: Find my Friends.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mncmoore, Sep 9, 2011.

1. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

What do you guys think if apple puts that into iOS 5? Think apple can take on Facebook?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I haven't used Facebook and don't know what that is. But if it is what I think it is I would like to be able to see my wife's location without logging into Find My iPhone. As an old coot I don't have any friends that I care about where they are (not condemning the service or your question, just not something I need).

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

:eek:

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Exactly and if this feature works the way it has been described, its borderline creepy.

I remember when I used to have Facebook, I always got a notification whenever someone (from my friends list) checked in within like a mile radius from me, I never cared and was one of the reasons I chose to delete my account (I don't need to know where you are and you don't need to know where I'm at).

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

lol - I meant the Find my Friends feature, not Facebook. :eek:

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Oh, I also was under the impression that you didn't know what Facebook was. Glad you cleared that up :D

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I once was going to sign up for facebook, but then I read the TOS. I laughed and closed my browser.
    As for finding my friends, I don't need an app to do that. I just click on a button. When they say "hello" I merely reply "Where are you?" and thus I know where they're at. :D

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I really want to know what Find My Friends will end up being. Will it be another way to stalk people?

"Hey Emily, how come you're at Derek's? I thought you wanted to go out with me!"

"Um.. how did you know I was here? and Derek is my brother!"

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm going to assume its Apple's version of facebook and foursquare's "Check-In."

It would be an Opt-in feature. I Check-in to a nearby restaurant and if any of my friends are near me they will be able to see this.

10. shandyman Suspended

Wow you deleted your account just cos of those notifications? You realise you could just turn that feature off?!

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

He clearly said one of the reasons, meaning there were other reasons.

12. saving107, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes, several reasons.

But mainly because I prefer to do Social Networking in the real world rather than through my keyboard (though this forum is my exception).

For many people (750 million apparently) Facebook is a useful tool in which to communicate and share, but for me I see my family and friends on an almost daily basis (then theirs phone call, texting and FaceTime), so for me facebook was not a useful or necessary tool.

Lame and vague statuses, people overly sharing, people thinking its ok to mis-spell and randomly capitalize letters in a sentence, friend request from friends of a friend that I met 6 months ago (once) all didn't help warrant the use of Facebook.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I think that, much like Facebook, I want nothing to do with it. I honestly don't get the obsession with all this privacy invading geolocation crap.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I know what you mean. I only use Facebook to keep in touch with friends overseas who I would otherwise be pretty much cut off from. I love Facebook but it's gotten too cluttered with crap.

15. shandyman, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

shandyman Suspended

fair enough, i was half awake and missed out that bit.

the lame and vague statuses is down to your choice in friends. i only have people on my friends list who i really talk to and i don't get any of the crap. my profile is set to private so no1 can randomly add me. there's enough customisable settings to avoid the rubbish. I have quite a few close friends that are all over the country and some abroad and Facebook is great for keeping in touch. My mates travelling upload all their pics, so i can see all that. can just drop into a convo with them, as it's significantly cheaper than texting someone in another country and there's the video cha built in now which is another plus for me. I don't get any 'lame and vague' statuses as my real friends aren't annoying immature randoms i randomly accepted.....

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

For people around my age group Facebook is just a bit of fun. And your coolness rating can go through the roof if you check in at a good music festival (DEFQON 1 next week :D:D:D:D)