IOS 5 general usage Q

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lulla01, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

As far as stability and graphics go, is IOS5 on the iPhone noticeably smoother and more responsive than iOS 4? Overall has anyone been satisfied enough (even though this is a dev preview) to be able to honestly say they'd replace their iOS 4 with the dev build for primary use. I don't want people flaming telling me the point of a dev build, i am well aware.

2. Gofre macrumors regular

It's running smoothly enough for me, it hans't been noticeably slower at all aside from the Camera App freezing for the first time I attempted to open it.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I find it to lag a little bit more than usual, and to be a bit buggy on my 3GS. Might do a clean install on it, idk.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

i find it not as smooth as the 4.3.3, maybe because it's beta, or maybe it has added features that make the iPhone CPU and Ram bit working hard. you know like when you use 3GS with iOS 3 vs iOS 4.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

I mean..its tough to get rougher, and buggier, than 4.3.3....

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I know its prerelease software - so I accept the fact that there will be some issues somewhere. Here's what I found:

Camera App - takes AGES sometimes for the shutter to open, and sometimes not at all.

When switching to video there is noticeable lag there, also the record/stop recording button doesn't always seem to stop recording the video. The count down timer stops but the flashing red button doesn't.

Opening Settings seems to have noticeable lag also. Even if you're switching to it.

Aside from that I'm very happy with the additions to the firmware. I can't wait for the final release of iOS 5 - knowing that all the bugs will be fixed and it'll be nice and speedy on my iPhone 4 again.

pac

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, there is some lag here and there. Nothing has crashed yet. Bugs here and there but for the most part, works really nice. On my iPad, I have had several apps crash, quit frequently. Other than that, it also seems fine.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's probably the best first beta Apple have ever released from a stability and compatibility with 3rd party apps perspective. Having said that, there are issues with it as you'd expect. The main ones I've found are various animation glitches, major problems with home sharing to the iOS device and some problems with mail (unread counts being wrong, mail body not downloading straight away, and it also suddenly showed me as having two MobileMe accounts which I could only fix by removing and re-adding MobileMe).

Personally, I can put up with the issues and use it day to day, but that might not be the case for everyone.

9. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

yeah

after about 10 hours with it , i find the same thing. The app store is somewhat glitchy, and overall flow is also just not as smooth as os 4