Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Aren't these supposed to be standard in iOS5?

Do you have to enable them?

morlandi70

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Gestures not working

Do you ask that because gestures are not working for you?

They aren't for me...

Used to work fine in 4.3.x, but now only the new notification center gesture works, but the others (home screen pinch, four fingers up for task manager and 4 fingers sideways to switch between apps) stopped working and I cant seem to find a place to enable them!!!!

danderton

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Uk
Same

Im in the same boat i cant seem to find how to enable gestures (if there here). Also location on Reminders....

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Aren't these supposed to be standard in iOS5?

Do you have to enable them?

My guess is this is feature iPad 1 owners won't get. I don't see gestures on my iPad 1 but my buddy's iPad 2 has them enabled by default

Ichorus

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
My guess is this is feature iPad 1 owners won't get. I don't see gestures on my iPad 1 but my buddy's iPad 2 has them enabled by default

iOS5 features page on apple.com

Side by side, near the bottom:

Multitasking Gestures for iPad
iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2

Although the fact its off ipad1 at the moment does not bode well...
I hope it comes back in beta2

Pared

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007

OH man... that's terrible. :(

It makes sense because the pinch to home was a LITTLE laggy. But still... :(

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, I was shocked to find no option for the gestures on my iPad 1, too! :eek: I'm really disappointed.
I just hope the iPad 3 comes out at the end of the year (as some predictions forecast). I'm deliberately avoiding the iPad 2 because I'd love that high-resolution upgrade that's coming.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Lets hope they bring it back in an update. It's quite hard to go back to not having gestures, I find my self doing them out of habit. They've become second nature.

valanchan

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
My iPad1 now dances with a wooden leg.

With iOS 4.3.3 my iPad danced with graceful gestures but not now with iOS 5 beta.

I think it was an oversight by Apple since it isn't listed as an iPod 2 only feature.

Hopefully the next update will fix it.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Same here.

I agree as well. Now that I've tried out Honeycomb and have been using PlayBook for a bit, I personally find iPad's gesture the most intuitive and fastest way to switch between apps, even more than the vaunted webOS-like task switching of the PlayBook.

The only thing I wish would've been an Expose-life function or more RAM on the iPad to hold more apps open, but otherwise the gesture is great and has completely replaced the home button in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.