iOS 5 GM and iCloud help needed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Oct 5, 2011.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Apologies for a new thread but I need your help with something.

I have installed GM versions of iOS 5, iTunes beta 9 and Mac OS X 10.7.2.

iOS overall is great, I was hoping that iMessage would have made it easier to share contacts, locations, videos but I guess that will come in 5.1/2.

I'm trying to back up my content to iCloud via the phone and the timer and wheel is just hanging and the blue bar isn't moving. Is this iCloud back-up different to the iTunes back up?

Also, on Lion it is saying that I need to upgrade iPhoto to use Photo Stream - is this the case? As it's £10.50!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Shawn

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

How much data is on your phone? I have about 19GB empty on my 3GS iCloud usually just grabs the important data from apps and your mail and contacts, settings as well. It takes about 1-3 minutes for an iCloud backup. Try restarting your phone. If that doesn't help I would restore iOS 5GM and try all new again.

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

is there an iCloud website we can access to see our stuff?

I mean by jsut enabling it on the iPhone it starts backing it up.. how do we find this information on the mac?

4. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not much at all, I've got 11GB free on an iPhone 4. Am I doing something wrong? The back-up on the phone just hangs and the phone and my Mac says that the back-up is incomplete.

5. Simon86 macrumors member

Yes, you're need to upgrade to iPhoto 9.2 - which has not GM'd yet. We'll probably need to wait until 12th October for this one.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have you tried icloud.com?

7. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will i have to pay for the new iPhoto to use Photo Stream on iCloud?

----------

This is just a web based version of what you have on your iOS devices and Mac Apps.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You should be able to get a software update like you normally do via the Apple menu. You can only use the App store update for iPhoto if you bought one of the newer computers that doesn't come with a restore disc (but an App store license for iLife).

The update, however, will not be available until October 12th probably.

9. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Your mac shouldn't be saying anything about backup as when you turn iCloud backup on (is off by default) it disables the iTunes backup. Have you turned it on and got wifi on?

The first backup can take a while - can reduce this by deselecting any apps you don't need backup for via the iCloud settings

----------

You can't access backups there. Can only access it through a phone restore.

10. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the loooooong iCloud first back-up really meant to be this long? Is it advisable not to back up everything, Apps, data, 234 photos etc etc?

Isn't it just easier to update via iTunes like previously, or is this iCloud backing up for people don't own or longer want to use a computer?

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

I took "stuff" to refer to email / contacts / calendar etc.

I'd be surprised if you could see backup contents via a web interface and given how obfuscated local iTunes backups are, it didn't occur to me that this was what was being asked.