iOS 5 GM and iPhone 3GS Location Reminders

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eddiexhart, Oct 7, 2011.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

So I was able to do the whole update to iOS 5 GM to my iPhone 3GS and it runs perfectly smooth. Now my question is, was the Location Reminders exclusive to the iPhone 4 & 4S? Because when I go to Reminders and create a new one and hit Remind Me, the whole Add Location isn't there. Anybody know? No show on the same for my iPad 2.

2. EdwardSainsbury macrumors newbie

I found this too, my best guess is that the location services on the 3GS aren't as precise as that on the 4 and 4S.

3. dportis47 macrumors newbie

dportis47

This is some bull! WTH I can't get the location field either!!! :mad:

4. sanford macrumors 65816

It's plenty accurate. I had a 4 and it was stolen, so went back to my 3GS. There's no noticeable difference in location services, other than using GPS drains the battery faster on a 3GS -- like everything does.

My 3GS can show me what room of my house I'm in, and it's not a very large house.

5. asmedegaardp macrumors newbie

Same thing here

Was really looking forward to the location based reminders, but I to own a 3GS.
    As with you guys the location option is not there.
    This is BS indeed. The GPS in the 3GS is good enough to support this function!
    I can only conclude that Apple has done this to try a push people to buy a 4S.
    I like Apple´s products but stuff like this makes me want to run for the open source alternatives.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It's not the level of precision that's the problem. It's that the cellular modem in the 3GS does not support the ability to send a callback to the processor upon a "large" regional change. This is how the iPhone 4 works. It has hardware dedicated to do this.

7. pedrotez macrumors newbie

That might be true but the first iOS5 BETA version did have the location based reminders.

I would go for some battery issues on that.

8. i-Charly macrumors newbie