iOS 5 GM help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zign, Oct 5, 2011.

1. zign macrumors 6502

zign

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend on the phone.

Took him through the same steps I took when updating to ios 5 gm, but there is a small problem.

I had an iCould backup and fully restored all my settings and apps etc just fine.

My friend backup his phone and restored from the ios 5 gm .ipsw. When going through the setup process on the phone and selecting the restore from itunes back option, it tells him to connect to itunes, but when he does it doesn't actually do anything.

Is there anyway to restore all the settings from the backup he has created before restoring to GM?

Thanks.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. zign, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

beta 7 on Windows

4. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

Anyone?!!! I can't believe he is the only one with the issue. On further inspection, there isn't even an option to restore from back up when you right click on the iPhone under devices (left side of itunes). I use Windows at work and I am on the same iTunes 10.5 Beta 7 as he is and I do have the option.

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

I am shamelessly going to highjack this thread, is the update supposed to take a long time? my 3GS (non dev) running itunes 10.5 beta 7 is seemingly stuck at one point or moving at extremely small increments.

itunes version 10.5.0.113

6. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

I was upgrading an iPhone 4, so I cannot fully relate to the 3Gs experience, but mine took about 15-20 minutes. Restoring from iCloud took several hours I think, but that wouldn't surprise me with the amount of data that was transmitted over the air.

If it is moving, then something is happening. Let it be for a bit longer ;)

7. Acronym macrumors 68000

I will let it be but I don't think it is moving at all but just to verify, I do have the right itunes installed yes?

8. zign thread starter macrumors 6502

zign

I was on iTunes 10.5 Beta 7 too. Are you upgrading or restoring?

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

I was restoring, I am now restoring to 4.3.5 to start and will try 5.0 again.