iOS 5 GM-How to get it to wirelessly sync over wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

My iPhone 4 is plugged in and everything is turned on, I've got some application updates that have not still automatically updated?

I have iTunes open...Does iTunes need to be open and running all the time?

What am I missing.

2. JasonHD macrumors regular

You don't have the new iTunes beta. Devs only until the 12th when new iTunes is released with the wifi sync option. You should just wait or become a developer.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the iTunes 10.5b132 and I have a developers license.

4. QuarterSwede, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You have to have iTunes beta 9 to install the iOS 5 GM.

OP,

Assuming you have iOS 5 GM installed then you have to plug in your iPhone and let iTunes recognize it. Then check the box on the Summary screen (main screen when you plug in the iPhone) to sync over wifi. After that DO NOT eject the iPhone. When you unplug it it'll stay in iTunes. iTunes must be running for wifi sync to work. You can close the window however.

Note: wifi sync is not an option on a PPC Mac.

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If you have the latest iTunes beta, plug the phone in and then check the option to sync over wifi on the phone status page.

6. Uabcar macrumors 6502

So I'm testing this now. I can initiate a manual wifi sync (very cool).

I'm not getting an auto sync when I plug it in to the wall charger though. I see the iphone in iTunes (which is open on my mac). Is there a delay before it performs the sync? or perhaps a delta from the last sync (which in only a few mins early do to testing).

7. lilpete, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

lilpete macrumors member

you can get the itunes beta here:

http://imzdl.com/

if you want your iphone to auto sync over wifi every time it plugs into power, you first need to plug it into your computer via usb cable and select 'Automatically sync over wifi' on the iphone screen in itunes. otherwise you will need to manually do it every time.

Note: you don't need to be a developer to use the beta. You can also get all the ios gm updates at that link

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I don't think it auto-syncs every single time you plug it in. After a sync, it will wait a certain period before syncing again unless you manually tell it to.

9. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Thanks. I've guessing then that it's just the fact that I did a manual (wifi) sync a little while ago that's keeping it from syncing automatically.

I'm running beta 9 and ios5gm. Not a dev though so I just got it all a couple days ago.

10. king974 macrumors member

Wireless Sync to iPhoto

I love the wireless sync to iTunes but was wondering if any knew if we could do the same with iPhoto?

11. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Yes, I would be interested in hearing this as well. This is my girlfriend's real issue as we have kids and she takes about 8 million pictures a day of them. If they synced automatically more often that'd be great because then I wouldn't have to sync them back every three or four weeks, dealing with 500+ photos.

12. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Doesn't look like it. The iPhone doesn't appear in iPhoto's device list when unplugged like it does in iTunes.

13. xpower180 macrumors regular

xpower180

I have enabled wireless synching today. It seems to be working fine using the same process as detailed in the posts above.
    I have quoted the OP as they mention application UPDATES.
    Are app updates a feature of wireless synching? If so mine isn't working that way at the moment...

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

You mean for the camera roll? Not sure if that's possible right now. Would definitely be cool to wirelessly sync camera roll photos automatically.

15. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

It will when iCloud is all up and running through photo stream.
    The beta is working pretty well.

16. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

You could set up iCloud on your iPhone. This way any photos you take would be automatically pushed to iCloud. They would then be automatically downloaded by iPhoto.

17. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I have iCloud setup but I was unaware that they will all be pushed to iCloud and then iPhoto will automatically download them. Any more information on this as it would seem to solve my problem!

18. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

It's in beta versions of iPhoto and works just how I described. Hopefully Apple will release the iPhoto update when the iPhone 4S becomes available.

19. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Well, that's great! Thanks for the information.

20. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

21. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Make sure 'Prevent devices from syncing automatically'

... in iTunes Pref. is not checked to enable automatic wifi syncing when plugged into wall charger.

I was having a problem where my i4 would not wifi sync when connected to my wall chargers. A manual sync via settings/general/wifisync worked great.

I had forgotten that i had recently turned off auto sync in iTunes/Pref/Devices. Once I unchecked the box, automatic syncing when I connected to a wall charger worked like a charm.

Of course it makes sense.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Thank you for this tip... I was having this issue myself and then thought that maybe I needed Lion first.

What I didn't get was the "do not eject" part (I had everything else right but I now am superstitious about always eject your devices before disconnecting. Sadly I used to be the opposite where I was really bad about forgetting to eject first). That did the trick.