iOS 5-has the unlock been forgotten or abandoned

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by srf4real, Feb 13, 2012.

1. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I have a Verizon iP 4 on iOS 5.0.1 and am hoping to switch carriers in the fall when my contract is up.. been with VZ since 1998 but their minimum 2GB data plan at $30 is just out of line. I'm tired of overpaying and they don't have the far superior coverage anymore that I used to boast about when talking carriers.

So, any unlock rumors for the new iOS? Or is it more simple than that?

Thanks in advance,:)

2. dread macrumors 6502a

The verizon iphone 4 will never be unlocked. It is only compatible with verizon. The 4s can be unlocked by verizon.

3. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

4. eastercat, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Even if Verizon unlocks your phone, it's only good for international carriers.
    With a factory unlock, I wouldn't be surprised if the dev team is focused solely on the jb (which is hard enough as is).
    CDMA phones are crap, because you're stuck with your carrier. You can't take it to Sprint. If you want to take it to metro pcs, you better have the skills to convince them to accept your phone. Otherwise, it's not a go. Even if you convince metro pcs, you still have to manually configure data and sms/mms.
    Next time, buy an unlocked gsm phone.

ETA: i just realized you have the 4, not the 4S. Dude, you're screwed.

5. Applejuiced, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, the Verizon iphone 4 doesnt even have a sim slot.
    Its just a CDMA phone so not sure what unlock you were thinking about but its not happening.
    Best bet would be to sell it and put the money towards purchasing a 4S on the network that you wish to use.

Pic of Verizon i4 compared to a GSM iphone 4 below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Even if it was unlocked what provider were you planning on going to?

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

On the plus side, they're still worth a lot of money on cl and ebay.

8. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

Wow. Well, I've been with VZ since 1998 and I know that they keep their phones locked up tight, great strategy too, it's kept me a customer all these years with the new every two especially..

But dang I imagined that the iPhone would be different, because Apple would never let some wireless carrier pwn their proprietary technology and devices! Guess I have a lot to learn. :(

Thanks y'all for letting me have the cold, hard truth. I just got my wife a white iPhone for valentine's and she loves it- suppose we'll be renewing again this fall, in time for iPhone 5 (fingers crossed):rolleyes:

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

iPhone is different, but you bought the "let's cash in on the move to Verizon" iphone 4; after all why should apple bother with dual tech for a temporary solution? Because the 4S is the proper release for Verizon, that's why it has dual tech.

10. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

omg theres no sim card slot WHOAAAAAAAA
    crazy shiz man