iOS 5 Help and Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apatel87, Jun 24, 2011.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

I am not sure if I am the only one having problems with iOS 5 but I had a few questions/concerns that I was a few less-noob members could help me out with. Thanks in advance.

1. Itunes Sync: I can't seem to wirelessly sync my iPhone to my Macbook Pro. When I go to iTunes sync it says sync will resume when "Macbook Pro" is available. It works fine when i connect it by wire and it isnt synced to another library. Not sure why this happens. The Sync Now button is grayed out and can't be pressed.

2. iCloud: it doesn't accept my Apple ID and says that I need a .me email address to register. I am not sure if there is a workaround. All my info is stored on my Apple ID and I didn;t want to create another one and lose all my purchases

3. Mirroring: when I click the Mirroring Airplay icon on my iPhone it doesn't mirror the screen on my Apple TV 2. Does my ATV 2 need to also be on iOS 5 for this functionality to work. It doesn't show up as anything. I click on the ATV2 on the drop down menu on my phone for Airplay devices but nothing happens.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

B-E-T-A not for use by the general public or on your primary device, things are broken and known to be, it is not meant for general use and if you do try you will encounter endless issues.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I believe it is currently in beta and some of those features aren't working 100% yet, especially wireless syncing. The important thing, as a developer, are the apps you are developing working properly?

4. LapsangSouchong, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

5. FX4568 macrumors 6502

well if you consider yourself noob... why do something only developers can do?

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Please don't do that, that is not what us developers do with the beta nor is it what we are supposed to do. All we care about is the API and any issues with it, testing the operating system is Apple's responsibility and most issues like this are addressed in the release notes anyway.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you had been an actual developer, you would have read the Release Notes and realized that issue 1 and 2 are not currently supported on the first Beta and issue 3 (mirroring) is only for the iPad 2.

My advice, stop using Beta software unless you know what your doing (which you clearly don't).

8. LapsangSouchong, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ah, okay I'll take that back. Everything I've tested has worked that way. But thanks for the info. I'll even edit my post.

9. MasterTick macrumors 6502

My advice would be to go back to 4.3.3 and wait until iOS 5 actually releases.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Which is the way betas usually work but Apple releases iOS in a beta form to developers solely so their applications can be updated or created to use new features in the API.

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Bueno. Thanks for clarifying. :eek: I was out of the country for 2 months. WTF happened with this beta that everyone and his even younger brother was able to buy it on ebay. Has this always been a problem and I've just ignored it?

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

funny thing is i bet half these people dont jailbreak there phones claiming "it messes it up" and then they toss a BETA on their phone like its not

13. shandyman Suspended

actually i'm using all iCloud features at the mo, am loving photostream, was at a gig wednesday night, when i got home, all the photos i took were already on my PC :) saves me transferring them! loving that my contacts are synced over my PC, iPhone and iPad, my new iCloud me.com email is working ok so far too. so handy having calenders and reminders syncing now too :)

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I know that iCloud does currently work, but that's not what the OP was asking.

He/she currently doesn't have a mobile me account and you can't sign up for an iCloud account without one. So he/she was wonder if their was a work around for non mobile me users to sign up for an iCloud account.

That is currently not supported.

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Until a glitch in the beta wipes all your photos, contacts & calendars from all your devices and you realize you can't restore from backups in the beta that is.

16. shandyman Suspended

i'm not using a mobileme account for iCloud. i'm using my hotmail and when i checked mail, it asked me if i want to have a me.com email address, so i did that too.

it's all backed up on my PC so not a problem