iOS 5, iCloud and Security

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jun 6, 2011.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

The interesting thing will be to see the security measures taken with iCloud and iOS 5.0

Interesting to consider is that Apple recently was under fire for location data being stored too long/too much on the iPhone and now they are touting a service which basically stores ALL App Data/Settings in the cloud (on their servers).

I wonder what the EULA will say about ownership of that data, etc.

2. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

I don't want Apple to have all my photos. I need to be sure that data is stored encrypted. If not, this means no more dirty pictures. :rolleyes:

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm more worried about the Apple ID. If you know someone's Apple ID + password, you literally know EVERYTHING about that person. Photos, contacts, texts, emails, calendars, notes, to-do lists, what music he or she listens to, literally everything. All that, locked behind a simple username/password combination. Kind of worriying. I think extra security measures should be taken.

4. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Even if it is encrypted, there will be systems personnel on the server side that can decrypt it.
    I doubt that they would ever implement some sort of private encryption, where the account user maintains a private key and is the only one that can decrypt the data. That would be ideal, but most people can't handle the responsibilities of data encryption. People lose certificates, forget pre-shared keys, etc.

5. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I had never thought of that. If I have someone's Apple ID, I literally own his life.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Overall the iCloud is only a big dispatcher of files ... didn't like this 30days limit in the cloud. Still require me to keep my backup in my house. I really wished to get some better remote storage; have quite some amount of data as raw files from my DSLR. Now I need to rethink about external storage of disks; thats soo oldfashioned

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well another question is - will you be able to (easily) back up the full iCloud directory to your local drive. Or will it be a walled garden that only iOS apps can see/pull from.

I guess we'll find out.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Agreed, it sounded really good until they said that it just seems like there needs to be a little bit more security.

9. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

In a digital world, you should treat it like nothing is secured.

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the backup and restore pieces really need to be tied to serial numbers or some other unique identifier that only the owner will have

personally i don't have much use for most features on the icloud so i'll be staying out of it, i don't mind syncing to a computer, it can do it while i'm asleep.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I do, but that still does not mean they could not have done a little bit more.

+1

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Like I said - it will be interesting to see the EULA. In fact - the App Store has a new one already as of today...

13. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/06/good-news-icloud-lan-syncing

Well apparently icloud does lan syncing. Not seen any screenshots of this option though.

I want to sync my personal stuff between my devices such as photos, documents etc but I don't want it to go to apples cloud, if I can sync at home over my wifi that would be great. As for app data such as gamesaves I don't mind if that gets sent to the cloud first.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I wonder if we'll be able to choose on an app level. Maybe you're ok with game saves going up... but what about apps that may have banking/cc#/other info you prefer not to be put in (yet) another location