iOS 5: iMessage Wish

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJAKO, Sep 21, 2011.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who wishes that the normal contact.app would include the iMessage icons alongside people who have iMessage.

Seems to make sense to me. That way you know exactly who has iMessage and who doesn't.

Included a screenshot for reference to what I was thinking of.

Attached Files:

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I thought iMessage would be default on all iOS 5 devices?

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yeah, that would be a nice feature. Personally, however, it doesn't bother me much because I have unlimited texts on my phone contract. It would be nice to know to whom I can send free images to, though! Thankfully, I know which of my friends have got iPhones, so it shouldn't be an issue.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can be turned off and not ever person will be running iOS 5.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

It is, but the OP wants to be able to click an iMessage icon from Contacts to directly iMessage someone.

It would really matter though because it automatically sends an iMessage if the recipient has an iMessage-capable device.

6. tann macrumors 68000

Yeah but I think we all want to know who exactly for sure has an iMessage capable device (and has iMessage turned on) to avoid potentially sending loads of SMS messages by accident lol.

7. shandyman Suspended

it already tells you when you're in composing the message. the send button is blue if they're available on iMessage or Green for SMS, it also says in the typing box SMS or iMessage. so really you cannot send by SMS accidentally.......

----------

actually the OP just says about seeing who is iMessage capable, not a shortcut to iMessage

see below

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I mean we can compose a message and see if the send button turns to blue or w/e, but I want it to scan my entire contact list and show me who has iMessage working.

9. shandyman Suspended

it tells you before you start composing, as soon as you go into message with the person, it checks.

the problem with what you want is that it has to check every contact each time you go into your contacts list, as, although someone may have an iMessage capable device, they may not be able to receive it. So that means every time you go into contacts, your phone has to use a data connection to check every single contact. if you have alot of contacts, this might take a bit of time, plus it's using data each time. Not very efficient when you think about it. Ok, it may not be much data, but not the point.

10. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

While I understand what you're saying, I feel like scanning your contact list would only need to be done once in a while. It's not something that would happen every time.

Apple already has that refresh button on the top left of the contact list to check iCloud. It could simply check for contacts that have iMessage activated at the same time.

11. shandyman Suspended

But for it to be effective the way you want, it would have to check automatically or you might as well not have it and just rely on going into the messaging app to see like you do now. People are not always available on iMessage due to coverage, etc.

iCloud is automatic, so you should never need to use that refresh button.