ios 5 ipad upgrade stuck on back up.

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by RickKC, Oct 15, 2011.

1. RickKC macrumors newbie

I just selected "update" in itunes to upgrade my ipad to ios 5 and the "Backing up "my name" ipad..." window comes up and then the whole thing just sits there. The progress bar shows just a tiny sliver of progress after an hour.
    I saw somewhere in the forums that the whole process just took just 20 minutes for someone else.

Any ideas?

The official Apple Forum says they are "Updating and they will be right back" whatever that means.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

When I did my iPad the installation of the new iOS5 took 60 minutes and then it restored my backup which it stated would take 11 hours. It finished in only 8.5 hours.

3. RickKC thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's something to look forward to once I finally figure out how to first "back-up".

So now I'm trying the 3GS. But I have to spend another hour downloading ios5 again!??!!

My macbook pro is still using 10.6.8. Is that the problem?

4. RickKC thread starter macrumors newbie

Same thing with the 3GS. It downloads the ios 5 and then starts to backup and then... nothing.

5. Ponderous macrumors regular

Each of my devices took about 8 hours. Set it up and go to bed. In the am you will have ios 5

6. RickKC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the 3GS finally did it. I think they need to update their progress bar technology!