iOS 5 iPhone wireless sync on SHARED wifi network possible?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by otissmithd, Dec 4, 2011.

1. otissmithd macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm currently at a university and was wondering if enabling wireless iPhone sync to my computer would cause any problems considering my iPhone and Macbook Pro are connected to the same wifi networks thousands of other people are connected to. I know for a fact that at least 40 people share the access point I am connecting to. Will this be a problem if I setup wireless iPhone sync? I don't want my iPhone syncing to any other computers by mistake

Thanks!

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I personally don't have your answer. Check with the University and seek their advice

3. Scott90 macrumors 6502

It won't accidentally connect to a different computer, but I haven't gotten my iPhone to sync wirelessly on my university's network.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It is not an issue as a file is created when you check sync via wifi in iTunes. The file is written only to your computer.

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

There's no way to accidentally connect to another computer because you have to "pair" your iPhone. That being said, I haven't been able to actually do Wi-Fi sync through my university's network, it acts like my Mac and my iPhone are on completely different networks (probably due to the way they route traffic).

6. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Most school wifi systems isolate each client to help prevent the spread of viruses and whatnot.

7. PaulyD macrumors 6502

It will be this which stops it.