iPod touch iOS 5 killing 3rd gen Touch?

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but shortly after iOS 5 came out, my 32gb 3rd gen completely died. It won't charge, turn on, or do much of anything beyond being a paper weight. I thought this was just an isolated event where something inside might have broken, but just the other day my cousin said the same thing had just happened to his iPod (also a 32gb, 3rd gen).

I'm hoping it's just a coincidence since my brother has the same iPod I do, but was hoping to hear from you guys about whether you've heard anything similar or any ideas on how to possibly fix it if possible.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Mine didn't die however it shuts off randomly when playing radio or podcast type apps

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I, too, have a 3rd generation 32GB iPod touch, now running iOS 5.0.1. Seems fine so far, then again, it only has room for my music library, contacts, and calendars, so I literally have nothing else on it (no videos, no apps, no photos, etc.) Haven't had any trouble with it...though, when I'm not using it to play music, I keep it completely powered off, so maybe I'm not the best judge...but it DOES power on just fine!

Given that I own the exact iPod touch in question, I'm very curious to see if others have this or other problems with iOS 5.x.x and their 3rd gen touch.

tonyr6

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
It is running great on mine. Speed is faster and is it not as sluggish as it was with 4.3. It runs really good that I am going to stick with my current 3rd gen Touch until we hope they release a new one next year.

cleibenzon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
My Ipod 32 gb also is not working after install ios 5

It was working properly but when I install the new ios 5, it just turns off and it's imposible to turn it on. The front button works not in every application and when I push it two times it turns off again.

I try to reset it but it continues the same way.

Christian:(

I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but shortly after iOS 5 came out, my 32gb 3rd gen completely died. It won't charge, turn on, or do much of anything beyond being a paper weight. I thought this was just an isolated event where something inside might have broken, but just the other day my cousin said the same thing had just happened to his iPod (also a 32gb, 3rd gen).

I'm hoping it's just a coincidence since my brother has the same iPod I do, but was hoping to hear from you guys about whether you've heard anything similar or any ideas on how to possibly fix it if possible.

9Benua

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
IOS 5 make my 64gb ipod touch sluggish. It's still tolerable but definitely not as fast as prior IOS.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
IOS 5 make my 64gb ipod touch sluggish. It's still tolerable but definitely not as fast as prior IOS.
... Storage capatcity means nothing, which gen is it?

And yes, my iPod touch 4 is painfully SLOW! even on iOS 5.0.1 I hope iOS 5.0.2 comes out with all this **** fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.