iOS 5 Location-Based Reminders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FPSDavid, Oct 6, 2011.

1. FPSDavid, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

FPSDavid macrumors regular

FPSDavid

1) If I set up a location-based reminder, it constantly has Location (the little arrow in the top bar) enabled. Is this going to (severely?) effect battery performance?

2) Within the Reminders app, do you HAVE to create a contact for places such as "Work" or "Grocery Store" or "Appliance Store"? i.e. I wanted to set up a reminder to "Get ice cream" when I arrive "Grocery Store", it automatically brings up the Contacts list, with no way that I'm seeing to just input an address. It would be rather annoying to have to have contacts for all these random locations, just to make the Reminders work.

2. FPSDavid thread starter macrumors regular

FPSDavid

3. xmnj macrumors member

I am also interested in this, and would also like to know if there is a way to expand the area considered by an address. The issue I have, is that GPS puts me at a different house number, so it would be good to say 'home' is considered anything within a certain distance.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

If the compass is showing up, I'd assume that means it's accessing GPS, which would definitely effect battery life, but that's just a guess.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

It does. I posted feedback months ago during beta and suggested that if a reminder has a date attached that it will not do the location check until that day. If a reminder has no date attached then it would have to check the location constantly. I thought it had this change but haven't looked at it in a while.

I may not want to be reminded anytime I reach work about a set task, but for instance only on this coming monday remind me to do something. In this case if there are no other reminders set, or if all the other reminders have dates set that are not today or up till monday, the location service should not be enabled until monday 12:01 am.