iOS 5 multitouch gestures for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by applefanboy4739, Oct 8, 2011.

1. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

I know that iOS 5 will support the ability to 4/5 finger pinch to go to the home screen and swipe to switch between apps, but what about web browsing? Do you think that apple will create a 2 or 3 finger swipe action to move forward and backward between pages? And what other gestures do you forsee?

2. irDigital0l Guest

i just really want it for my ipad 1...didnt Apple originally have this feature for the ipad 1 in the developer beta?

if so more apple bs.

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Considering that Lion has two and three finger gestures, I can see them being added to the iPad in the near future. I find the gestures that they've currently put in to be immensely useful (not to mention cool), so I hope for a full gesture ability much like Lion's (with a dedicated settings screen for customising them).

4. bravo0306 macrumors newbie

upgraded to ios 5 gm on ipad 1 and coudn't find any option related to multitouch gestures...any one having any idea plz share

5. BergerFan, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For iPad 1, try this hack (no jailbreak required)

I tried it a few months ago and it saves the hack into your backup, so it's always there - even after you restore. There's no option to turn it off in the settings, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to turn it off anyway!

Note: This worked for me with my iPad 2 on Windows. I don't know how to do it via OS X, and I'm not sure if it works on the original iPad, on either OS.

6. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Does it work on an iOS 5 iPad 1?

7. bravo0306 macrumors newbie

+1

8. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Nope it doesnt work.Tried IOS5 GM iPad 1. Think the jailbreak edit for a different plist works but dont want to jailbreak

9. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Same here. Jailbreaking just isnt worth the headaches that comes with it for me.

10. Signor S. macrumors member

Multi-touch gestures will only work on the iPad 2. All other things related to iOS 5 will work with the original iPad, but multi-touch gestures are reserved for the iPad 2 only.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Correct. And this, friends, is completely retarded.

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You want swipe gestures on a web browser? Get Atomic. No need for ios5 or a jailbreak. It's buit in to the browser.

13. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

I've had the multitasking gestures on the iPad 1. Really, it isn't bs, the device isn't powerful enough for them. Safari seemed to freeze/crash more and swiping between apps wasn't that effective since the low amount of memory doesn't really allow for fast switching.

14. irDigital0l Guest

at least give us the option to turn it on and off... there's no harm...they just want people to upgrade the the ipad 2... -_-

15. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Have to disagree. Speedyparker87 is right in saying that iPad 1 isn't up to the job. It's a shame, but it's true. You can't blame them for not implementing a feature that doesn't work very well. As for forcing people to upgrade, the overwhelming majority of users won't even know that they're missing a feature. Most people won't even have heard of iOS 5!!

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I've often wondered why Apple hasn't yet implemented back/forward gestures in Safari.

BTW it would need to be three fingers, since two finger swipes are already used to scroll frames.

17. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Also, 4 finger swipe up from the bottom for the multitasking bar

18. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Download the Atomic Web browser (free version and also a .99 version). Been using it since I got my iPad 2 and I love it.

Gestures are customizable. No jailbreak required. 2 finger swipe back (previous page), 2 finger swipe forward (next page), and 2 finger swipe up/down to switch tabs.

19. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I had the gestures enabled on ios4 ipad1 and thought they worked great. Mildly glitchy for the five finger - home gesture but perfect on the rest. Shame they left it out for ios5 really.

I miss four fingers up for multi task bar the most.

20. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Updated to iOS 5 today and am loving the gestures already. It is so nice to not have to worry about where the home button is when you want to get to the homescreen or multitasking bar.

The user experience has been improved drastically here.

21. Onemorerun macrumors member

On the upside...

Rationionalizing not being disappointed that my poor iPad 1 won't have gestures enabled, I have read that some of the notepad apps do work well with gestures so you will need to turn them off anyways. I use notepad apps a lot so I guess this is sort of a positive.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Wait until iPad 3 comes out, then both iPad 1 and iPad 2 owners will get screwed.

That's just how it is.

23. akohan macrumors newbie

gestures on iPad worked fine

I've been using them since the 4.3 preview - I've never had issues, except when apps were having memory issues anyway due to low space and shoddy apps.

Gestures are the main thing that has made my iPad useful as a productivity device. That they aren't available on iPad 1 is totally disappointing and absolute crap.

Any balancing of potential harm due to crashing vs. productivity gained has been totally off here, and could be dealt with by making the gestures opt-in as they were.

Check out this thread on Apple support for more reactions:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3373546?start=15&tstart=0

24. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I just asked Apple to bring back multi-touch gestures for the iPad 1. I have been using multi-touch gestures on my iPad 1 for 4.3+ and found no slow down issues. I thought the multi-touch gestures improved the user experience for me. Enough people ask for it Apple may decide to include it in a later 5.x release. So go ask for it.