iOS 5 needs SMS quick reply

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the notifications pull down... It's awesome you can view notifications easily now without switching apps... But then you STILL have to switch apps to respond... For SMS and emails they need to implement a quick reply system from the notifications pull down.. Thoughts?

2. acoustic- macrumors member

Yup. Posted on this already. A lot of people agree, and a lot of people disagree. They just need to make the OPTION to do this and everyone can live happily ever after.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Apple missed a trick... again!

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'm sure developers are letting them know in the feedback. This and some sort of icon in the status bar to let you know there are notifications are the hot requests. Apple may surprise everyone and implement this in one of the future beta's before release... or in one of the 5.X.X releases in the future.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. shandyman Suspended

with fast app switching now, it's dead quick to tap the notification, takes you into the app, reply, double tap the home button a nd go back to where you were.

7. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

But it is quicker to reply in SMS quick reply. Just type the message and then the pop-up goes away.

8. virtuosity macrumors member

As someone with an enterprise edition of the iPhone - and massively complex password to unlock, that would be a great feature!!!

9. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I would guess that 95% of people who have tried QuickReply for two days and actually gave it a chance would prefer it over having to unlock phone, open app, yada yada yada.

Does anyone have a link where 'developers' can provide specific feedback? I'd love to be one of the guys that bugs them about stuff.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

What fast app switching? Oh, you mean Apple's crappy take on multitasking? And how does that help if you haven't had your messages app open lately (i.e. it's not IN the multitasking bar?) And even if you meant that you can click reply to a text notification and it'll take you to the messages app, that still means you have to stop what you're doing, go to another app, type your reply, hit send, then double click the home button, and select the app where you were when the message came in. How in the world is that FASTER and EASIER than clicking reply in a quick reply window, typing your reply, hitting send, and being right back in the app you were already in???

11. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I personally don't know if I'd want it on the lock screen. That would mean anyone can send messages from your phone without unlocking. Well to anyone who is still in the notification center anyway.

12. Mascots, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm going to be the jerk and say my Messaging app is ALWAYS in the first four set of icons (normally second or third!) because I text too much for my own good.

Honestly, while a quick reply would be sweet (plugins to notification center à la the weather widget [e.g., swiping to the side of a message to reveal a quick reply], anyone?) not having it wouldn't be detrimental to me. The fact that I can see it banner-style and go to it through Notification Center when I am done doing who knows what is much better than the current method, 10-fold.

I agree with you, there, but I'm sure Apple would force you to unlock it, but at that point you might as well unlock the phone! Ha.

13. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I think Apple actually did it the right way, but that's just me. :D

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

In the notification, you aren't able to click on the message to open the app? I would much prefer that to quick reply.
    Luckily, I don't have crappy friends, but other people seem to have friends who'd pull pranks. If quick reply was available, those people would have no qualms posting something that the person would never type.

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I don't think that's being a jerk. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D

But I will admit that I'm spoiled by being jailbroken and using biteSMS. I'm not sure if you've ever used it, but for those that haven't, you don't know what you're missing. You can configure nearly everything about it, including whether it shows the text/name/picture of the sender in the quick reply. Heck, you even get a free license for Popup Blocker when you buy biteSMS so you can completely block the sms popup altogether. If you went this route for security reasons, you still have a small status bar icon that tells you you've got an unanswered sms and even how many you have. Frankly, bitesms used in conjunction with LockInfo is absolutely the best notification setup I've ever used (I've never used an Android handset, so I can't comment on their notifications, although people seem to love it).

And maybe I was too harsh in saying Apple's multitasking was crappy. I'm grateful that they finally brought it about last year, but I guess I just dislike how you get to it. I'm always worried that I'll wear out the home button with the double-click. Not to mention, being jailbroken, I used to use the double-click for other things (in the pre-iOS4 days). I wish they'd have implemented some sort of swipe-up gesture to bring up multitasking (similar to the swipe-down that brings up the notification window in iOS5). I've actually tried doing this through Activator, but it doesn't want to work half the time (because when you swipe upwards, the dock icons have a tendency to move and that kills the Activator gesture).

16. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I've used something exactly like BiteSMS on Android...The texting app was called Handcent and it offered this feature.

Amazing feature that Apple shouldn't have skipped I think. It is so simple yet so powerful. I'd give up the whole Notification Center on iOS 5 just for this feature.

17. shandyman Suspended

you don't need messages in the multitasking to get straight into it, you go straight from the notification which takes you straight to replying then double tap home and go back to where you were, me and a mate have done a speed comparison and it took just the same amount of time, so yea, it's just as easier.

you should try things out yourself as you're obviously not talking about iOS5 with experience and making yourself look silly. i never said it was faster, you are putting words into my mouth there. just said that

on the new notification centre, you can either click on the banner when the text pops up, or pull down the notification centre and press the text and it will take you straight into the text with the keyboard up to reply. if you have your screen locked, instead of swiping the normal unlock, you swipe the text you want to go into and again it takes you directly into the text to reply.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My phone is not insecure. I have it closed up and passcoded.
    So...
    I have preview turned off (preview of text message/mail/etc), so I'd never see anything. I have it this way because if I get a text, no one is able to see what the text says unless they open the app. And in order to do that, they need my passcode.
    So I would never use a quick reply. But I would use the way that tapping the notification to go into the Messages app which would then prompt for the passcode.
    I could see a desire for QR, but I also see how insecure it is and how everyone would know your business. We all lose things, and from reading this forum a while it happens more than it should unfortunately.

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you make complete sense in your scenario. but at the same time, i think there are more users who do not have a pass code on their iphone. i think QR would be a great feature. imo if apple is interested, they are looking for the best way to make it look seamless and have it flow with the screen. bite is awesome but i dont think it has that seamless design apple must want.

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yes, I want Quick Reply also! If we don't get it, it is fine. I am still jailbreaking my device to get it.

21. motty2307 macrumors regular

I was previously jailbroken and loved BiteSMS's quick reply feature. I agree with some previous posters that Apple just needs to provide that as an option so that people who don't want it don't have to use it. Otherwise, they'll keep on seeing people who jailbreak their devices for such small perks like this that they could easily implement.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well I'd like to believe that the apple developers aren't generally clueless and do try to look at what options are out there. So I'm wondering, with bitesms out there and having this option....what decision caused them to not include this?
    I'm sure there has to be a reason. Maybe because its only beta 1 and they haven't coded it in yet but plan to. Maybe they decided against it as it would make a phone insecure in doing so.
    Who knows. But I do see the desire to want it, but I wouldn't use the option personally.

23. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yeah i agree with you. the thing is, it seems like they try to take their time in adding features. imo, they either create a new feature, or come very late to the party when a feature is wanted and is offered on other devices and platforms. its only beta 1 like you said, so i hope there are still new additions that are yet to be seen. for me, bite covers everything i want and need in a QR QC app.

24. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

Remember Apple hired the guy who came up with the jailbreak tweak that the Notifications bar are based off on. In his tweak there is a quick reply. So a quick reply might happen before is is released to the public.

25. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

That's a great point. Although I have very little experience with MobileNotifier (I've always used biteSMS), so the changeover will be completely different for me...lol. IIRC, didn't MobileNotifier just recently add a QR option? If anyone has used MN's quick reply, how's it working out? I know the latest version of MN is still a beta (and he's not working on it anymore since he's working with Apple), but I wouldn't mind switching to it so I'm more ready to go once iOS5 is released (again, hopefully with the QR option).