iOS 5 Notifications are terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Oct 6, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

There should be icons at the top of the screen indicating you have a notification. If you don't pull down the menu then you will never know. It's like a guessing game

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure terrible is the word I would use, but I absolutely think that there should at least be a notification icon in the statusbar.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

iOS 5 has been out for 3 months on betas. its been like that since day 1. i advise you jailbreak and youll be able to get an icon in the status bar.

4. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are terrible, but you do make a good point. A status bar indicator would be very helpful.

5. bryanjc macrumors regular

I'm not a fan of the new notifications either, only thing i like is the ability to delete songs from the phone in iOS5.

I wasn't particularly bothered by the old notifications to be honest, that was quite anal to be so annoyed. :rolleyes:

6. Foo4Everlong macrumors member

It does show up on the lock screen prior to unlock though, right?

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Agreed

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

You couldn't play a game or watch a video without the old notifications interrupting you.

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Icons would be nice, for sure, but the iOS5 notification system is leaps and bounds above previous iOS notifications. I've used Android phones and I prefer the iOS5 notifications. They're great. Don't knock it until you try it. Also, all of your notifications are a swipe away with notification center.

10. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

O, so since you think it should have an ugly icon up there - iOS' notifications are terrible.

I think the notifications are much better and seamless than that mission control tray in Android.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I suppose I could see your point, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where you would not have seen the notification. If you were using the phone, you SAW the notification and ignored it. If you weren't using the phone, then it should be on the lockscreen. But like I said, I guess I could see your point. Terrible is an overstatement though.

12. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

As others have said, I think that the old style of notifications was terrible. The new style and implementation are significantly better, albeit not perfect. I agree that an icon would be easy to implement, and would help.

13. lilo777 macrumors 603

Ugly icons? Communication is the primary function of this device and you want to hamper it in order for the phone to look prettier? How about you get a functional phone and attach something flashy (like a piece of Swarovski glass) to it to look pretty?

14. androiphone macrumors 65816

yeah I admit having something like a little exclamation mark in the status bar to indicate that there are notifications in the tray would be good

15. bryanjc macrumors regular

and thats a problem, not being fiesty. Could just click close..etc..

:confused:

16. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree that something to let you know that you have notifications would be nice. If I had my way it would just be 1 icon in the status bar letting you know to go check the notifications tray. That way if you see that you can go check and see all of the notifications you may have. I have used the iOS 5 notification tray briefly and Android's extensively. The Android way has way too many icons in the status bar cluttering everything. Just my opinion.

----------

That was a big problem for a lot of users it seems. It completely interupted anything that you were doing and that was very very annoying. I couldn't be happier that Apple changed it (finally).

17. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

God dammit Steve why would you leave us with a notification icon!

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

While watching a video or playing a game getting a notification that pops up right in the middle of your screen is pretty annoying.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I agree that Lockinfo-style icons at the top of the screen would be really useful. Knowing Apple, they didn't want to clutter up the taskbar for aesthetic reasons.

20. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

While I think that iOS 5's notifications are immensely better than iOS 4's, I agree that they badly need some sort of indicator in the status bar to remind you that there's something in Notification Center that needs attention.

I guess that the iPhone doesn't do this because its status bar already gets cramped at times, but there's certainly no excuse with the iPad and its enormous, mostly-empty status bar.

21. theperipheral macrumors 6502

There doesn't need to be anything in the status bar. An LED light next to the speaker on the top would be perfect.

Kinda dumb that you have to jailbreak to get the little things that really make the phone work perfectly.