iOS 5 Notifications still obtrusive!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

When an alert pops down from the top it covers navigation buttons. Shouldn't the screen move down just a tad for the banner in order to maintain a user-friendly UI? Either that or speed up the banner animation. Thoughts?

2. kingdLo macrumors 6502

The alerts cover the buttons sure, but they still work even almost fully covered.

3. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm happy apple changed the notifications. Would you rather have the old one...

4. err404 macrumors 68020

Any time something is brought onto the display it will be obtrusive. The trick is minimizing that impact. I'd like to see a simple 'x' int the corner of the drop down so we could quickly dismiss the alert instead of waiting for it to time out.
    The bigger problem that I have is the swipe action can interfere with some apps (mostly games)

5. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good idea! That would be beneficial.

6. JReinn macrumors member

Great idea with the 'x'.

But about the games... Since Beta 2 (or 3) they changed it, so you need to swipe twice in "Full-screen" apps, if you know what I mean. It'll time out after some time, or if you just tap somewhere else, it'll go away. So unless you make 2 movements in fullscreen apps that are exactly the same (from the top to the bottom of the screen), it won't show the notification center. :)

7. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Yes i have noticed that and i like it alot

8. itsalexaye macrumors regular

i dont like the way they changed the lockscreen notifications from beta 1 to 2. i liked the ones in beta 1 much better.

9. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

iOS 5 beta 4 broke Personal Hotspot, a feature I use on a day to day basis traveling for work. I had to downgrade to 4.3.5 and while I love having my Hotspot back, I miss the hell out of iOS 5 notifications.

You're insane if you think iOS 5 isn't a VAST improvement over iOS 4. Not saying it's perfect, but it's pretty damn impressive. Blows the **** out of Androids notification system. Apple didn't "come up with it" but they sure did perfect it.

10. walie macrumors 6502a

how?

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm curious how it's any better, and in fact, any different?

12. zobby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

I love the new notifications but I think an x to get rid of them would perfect the system. Notifications almost seem to sense when I want to press something at the top and suddenly appear right at the wrong moment. :)

13. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

It's better because Apple made it. Obviously. XD

14. iMattcotv, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I agree. They need to create a way to immediately hide the popup.

- Perhaps a swipe up from the little popup?
    - A Swipe left or right to show "delete"
    - an X like you suggested
    - or even double tapping

Which ever the case is, im sure the jailbreak community will brew the idea into reality :D

15. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Nice idea. Submit it to Apple ;)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Maybe use one of the volume buttons to get rid of it? It won't get in the way if music is playing because it's only one simple press I suppose. Just this way it won't interfere with what's on screen.

17. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I don't think that would be wise, it's not practical at all.

18. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

I never noticed a difference...

The iPhones whole OS is smoother than android.

Its smooth and more customization in my opinion.

True...Apple didn't make notification center it perfected it.

19. err404 macrumors 68020

I'd love to take credit for the idea, but I got it from another thread on the forum when notifications were first introduced. I believe that the idea was submitted at that time.

20. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

I don't know if this was discussed but in full screen apps if you slide down a little bar comes down then you have to slide it down again so it doesn't interfere with games.

21. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Hardly a good reason

Is that a joke? What, exactly, is customizable about the new notification system, other than the position that they show up and the ability to turn it on and off?

If this is the "perfect" notification system I feel sorry for the future of smart phones.

22. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Hahahaha, I dont know i just think that droids whole OS is choppy like running windows vista with 1GB of ram and a 1GHz processor. On droid it takes me at least 2-3 trys to pull down the notification center.

23. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

How about this, when the notification comes on screen a quick tap of the home button gets rid of it. I know people will say that this will interfere with wanting to quit an app but if you want to do that while a notification is up then you should have to hold it and it'll get rid of both the notification and app.

24. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

That seems like a good idea

25. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

While thats a valid point, and part of the reason I don't use a droid, it really doesn't have anything to do with the Notification Center.