iOS 5 on iPad 1 (and 3GS)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by js81, Feb 29, 2012.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK... I think I'm totally out of luck, but it doesn't hurt to ask. My iPad 1 has been dog slow since I "upgraded" it to iOS 5. I've done all the updates, but nothing helps. I've turned off iCloud and Location Services; I close apps as frequently as I can remember to; and the thing STILL lags when doing simple tasks like web browsing or typing a memo.

My iPad was FREE - it was provided to me as a technology teacher by my school; needless to say, I have no desire to BUY an iPad (even an iPad 3) when I have a perfectly functional iPad FREE ;). I know that without my SHSH blobs, I'm basically out of luck in terms of downgrading to 4.3.X. Are there any tweaks that I could do to make 5.0.1 more bearable?

Also, just got a freebie 3GS to use with my wife's StraightTalk account (they now allow your OWN phone!). It had 3.1.2 (never was upgraded to 4); I decided that a slower phone with more features was more useful that one without, so I upgraded it to 5.0.1. Same thoughts as the iPad above, though it does seem to be quite a bit faster than the iPad. :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have used iPad 1 on iOS 5 and never noticed it being slower than my iPad 2. Have you tried restoring and setting it up as new?

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I've restored it several times, but every time I've allowed it to re-sync everything. I'll try a complete new setup and see what happens. It's drove me crazy for months...

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Wife has the 1 updated to the latest OS, genuinely no issues - works great. I've read some other posts on slow/erratic behavior but I just can't believe that's the norm. There's something else going on.

5. homeboy macrumors 6502

It's nothing out of the ordinary. Apple products are well updated but as soon as a year has passed a big update comes out, then you device becomes a slow dog. Been there, done that with a 64GB iPod touch in the past.

6. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I can't speak for everyone of course, but the two 1st gen. iPads that I deal with regularly are both dog slow after the iOS 5 "upgrade." Mine's a 16GB wifi and my Mom has a 64GB wifi.

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I have original with iOS5 installed and can side with the OP that things just don't seem as quick as they used to be. It's still usable, but I'll notice Safari crashes MUCH more than it ever did, along with the keyboard being laggy when inputting text. It could have something to do with a single core processor, vs the dual core iOS5 was likely optimized for.

Unfortunately, the best solution I've found is using Terra, a free web browser from the App Store. It hardly crashes, and provides some better functionality than Safari.

March 7 (and whatever the release date is going to be) can't come soon enough.

8. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

At least you get an update.

And yes OP, 3GS slows down quite a bit on iOS 5. I wonder if it's done artificially?

9. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I actually find my 3GS is much smother and speedier with iOS5 than iOS4. Honestly!!
    After iOS4 I was convinced my phone was at the 'end of the road' and was all set to upgrade. Since iOS5 I am in no rush to upgrade anymore.

My iPad 1 was great on iOS4 and is only a little slower on iOS5.

I never really understand how users posting here can have such seemingly different experiences with the same hardware/software. . . .

10. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

OK... so I did a COMPLETELY clean restore (Set up as new iPad/iPhone) and now BOTH the iPad 1 AND the 3GS run iOS5 fantastically! One weird thing, though - the 3GS, even with a slower processor (600MHz), runs iOS5 more smoothly than the iPad (1GHz). Only thing I can figure is the extra screen real estate of the iPad taxes the GPU more. Regardless, I'm happy - both devices are very useable. Would I like the new ones? Absolutely! But my wallet sure does like my OLD ones. :D