iOS 5 on iPhone 5 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AIP5, Aug 21, 2011.

1. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, so I've been wondering how this works. If iOS 5 is still in beta testing phases, then what iOS do the new iPhone 5s being built right now have? Or can they like install the final version of iOS 5 in the factory after having manufactured the phone weeks or months ago? Or, is it possible that they have already finalized a sort of different iOS 5 version for the iPhone 5 and have been installing that?

Just a little confused about making the connection of iOS 5 betas and iPhone 5.

2. shandyman Suspended

they'll have iOS5 on it, i would assume they will have the GM installed as that's usually out a couple of weeks at least before launch.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Remember iPhone 5's have NOT been boxed yet. As soon as iOS 5 hits GM, Apple will order to install the GM on all iPhone 5's, box them and ship them to the States for sale.

No enigma.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it will be no different to all past iPhone releases they will come pre-boxed with iOS 5, they will obviously have an iPhone 5 build like they had an iPhone 3GS build of 4.0 and iPhone 4 and all other iOS devices that could run 4.0 so iOS 5 on iPhone 5 is just standard practice for Apple by now

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This was my thinking as well. They'll just finalise the OS, put it on all their phones, then send them out to be bought up by the likes of us.

6. AIP5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh ok, so the iPhone 5's don't have any iOS loaded on them right now, right? It's just waiting for the final approval of iOS 5 from Apple?

I wonder where they store them if the iPhones aren't boxed... That'd be interesting to see the stacks of brand new iPhones like that ;)

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

That answered nothing. Of course they will come with ios 5. That wast his question. His question was..Since iOS 5 is still in beta testing, what is being installed on the iPhone 5's being produced right now. And the answer was "nothing is on the phone right now.