iOS 5 on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aeneid, Jun 30, 2011.

1. aeneid macrumors member

So, I hate to say it but so far, I've been syncing my iPod Touch manually. Basically I put the music I want on my iPod and then delete it off my computer to save room. Through this method my apps aren't saved anywhere. We all know that the iOS 5 Beta 2 is out there for download, and hackable to use with out a developer account. I want to know how can I create a back up of my iPod Touch with the applications and music stored somewhere. In fact the music is not a big deal, I have it still, it's just a question of keeping the apps. Reason being is that I have the aim app, that isn't the newest update because I read up on the reviews and saw that it sucks, I don't want to update because then it'll have the landscape view in it and it sucks. i want to keep it this way. If I sync my iPod with my computer and then will it keep the current version or update it? and 2 if i do install iOS 5, do I need to back up my SHSH blobs prior so that I can restore my iPod if it all fails? How would I go about to restoring it?

Yes I know I should wait, but quite frankly it's very enticing and I'd like to try it out.

Cheers

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Something to think about: a friend of mine is an app developer, and he has it on an iphone 4, and I've played with it extensively; less than thrilled would be an understatement. I really hope they do some serious work on it between now and when it's released.

With that said, it's simply not worth it. Not worth the hassle, not worth the chance you're taking . . . you will, most likely, be disappointed.

3. aeneid thread starter macrumors member

I agree. I mean it would be nice to have the notification center but it's okay. However as a sidenote, how would I go about with backing up my ipod with manual sync? I DO NOT want to sync it constantly. I just want a back up with the apps the version that I currently have. Music I could care less. Easy to re up with manual sync. Thanks.

Cheers

4. kailibur macrumors member

wont work for you.

in your signature i noticed that you have an 8gb 3g touch. the difference between the 2g and 3g 8gb touch models is nada.:confused: there is no hardware or software difference on the inside and out for the 8gb model, they just changed the 2g to a 3g so people would buy itbecause they thought it was new. i dont think (notice how i said think, im no expert) it will work with your device. it only works with 3g and newer, and im sorry to say that you acctually have a 2g in every way. sorry to break it to you

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Going on from the above post, is yours a 2nd generation or a 4th generation 8GB iPod touch? Because there was no 3rd gen 8GB iPod touch.

Otherwise, syncing your iPod touch running iOS 5 wirelessly works exactly the same as it does with iOS 4 just without the cable. I manually manage my iPod touch and I can drag and drop music and videos onto it just fine without it being plugged in - it just appears in my devices menu as though it was plugged into my Mac. Backup works the same way, it backs up everything on the iPod to my Mac so if I need to restore I can.