iOS 5 on tmobile 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhone007, Nov 15, 2011.

1. iPhone007 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I just purchased an iphone 3gs and had it unlocked for tmobile. can i get iOS 5 on it? i have heard that there are some issues, and i am new to the whole cydia thing and have no idea how to use it. can someone tell me the best way to get ios 5 to work? thanks!

2. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe there are any untethered jailbreaks out for iOS 5 yet.

Until that happens, there aren't really any unlocking options for the 3GS on iOS 5. You need to have the jailbreak first before you can software unlock.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Downgrade it to 4.1, then jailbreak it with redsn0w. If you want to unlock it, then the only is to install ipad baseband onto it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will only be able to install 5.0.1 right now, not 5.0
    And besides the tethered JB I heard ultrasnow doesnt play well with that firmware version so you might have problems not beeing able to unlock or use it on Tmobile.

5. djoz187 macrumors newbie

if you have the old bootrom 3GS then you can jailbreak with a custom IPSW using redsnow and then unlock with ultrasnow UNTETHERED. I am on it now and am loving it

*iPhone 3GS - Old Bootrom - Untehered Jailbroken Unlocked w/Ultrasnow iOS 5.0 - TMobile USA*

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Your best bet is to check the bootrom version on your 3Gs. If you're lucky enough to have the old one, it opens up a lot more options. We have a couple phones in right now with the old bootrom running an untethered jailbreak/unlock on both 5.0 and 5.0.1. So far we haven't run into any issues.

If you don't have the old bootrom, your best option is to stay with the software your on to keep your jailbreak/unlock and avoid issues. With the new bootrom, iOS 5 will be tethered and since your fairly new with this stuff, it will most likely cause more headache then you want to deal with.

7. jonnybgoode macrumors newbie

Joined just to ask you this question:
    I have an old-bootrom 3GS and I accidentally updated to 5.0.1. I got it jailbroken again with redsn0w but because ultrasn0w hasn't been updated for 5.0.1 yet I cannot use tmobile, to my knowledge. What networks are you on or do you have another workaround for tmobile on 5.0.1 with an old-bootrom 3GS?

8. iPhone007 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i know what bootrom my 3gs has? sorry im new to all of this

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Use Idetector to determine if you got the old or newer bootrom.

Nothing as of now.
    You will have to wait for ultrasnow to be updated in order to use it on Tmobile.
    Try not to "accidentally" update your JB and software unlocked iphone again.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

download idetector onto your PC, put your phone into DFU mode, run it and it will tell you whether your phone has old or new bootrom.