iOS 5 OTA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daleycss, May 31, 2011.

1. daleycss macrumors regular

OK, when iOS 5 comes out for the public,if it has OTA updates, will it be able to download OTA or do you have to download iOS 5 normally through itunes and any future releases would have ota updates

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Apple does not know how to do OTA. Hell Apple does not even know how to do patches for iOS. All they know how to do is tell you download and re-install the entire OS for a 100kb fix.

So this means no OTA.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

How would we know? No one knows until June 6th.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why can't people just wait 6 more days to find out all the details from the horses mouth, we don't know, but you know who does, Apple.

WWDC will have it's opening Keynote on June 6, 2011 at 10am, get the popcorn ready.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It has got to come from iTunes, it is an Apple:eek:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iOS4 has no mechinism for OTA updates, so iOS5 cannot occur that way. There's some rumors that iOS5 will allow future updates to be handled that way but for that particular update it will be installed the traditional manner. Downloading it from iTunes.

7. daleycss thread starter macrumors regular

ok thats really what i wanted to know. If iOS 4 was capable of downloading iOS 5 over the air.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You wouldn't want ios 5 OTA, because it would take forever to d/l. Also, I seriously doubt that AT&T would allow such a feature, because of the bandwidth it'd take.

9. patp Guest

the rumor is they will introduce iOS5 via iTunes. But any upgrades to iOS5 will come via OTA.

Who knows? I prefer to do it thru iTunes.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Why would you even want to download an iOS update OTA that's gonna be 600mb+? Is it that much trouble to plug your phone into your computer for 20m minutes?

Besides, it seems like if something disrupted the process and you weren't connected to a computer it would cause problems that could have been easily avoided.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

There is the rumor that 5.x updates will start doing OTA. And Apple was doing patches on iOS until the flak they got for 1.1.1 bricking phones that were rooted.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, it's a bit ridiculous in 2011 to need a wired host computer, yes.

Other phones do OTA incremental upgrades, which are far smaller.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That wasn't what the OP was asking. The OP was asking about a major upgrade that would be approximately 600MB.
    I don't see why it's ridiculous to need a wired connection for updates and syncs. Are you saying that Apple is the lone holdout on OTA? Otherwise, your statement is a bit ridiculous.

14. HitchHykr, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I personally don't care about OTA OS updates but I'm not going to be the type that tells others "You don't need that!!!".

Why don't I care about it? OS updates are infrequent and I can wait till I get home/office to do the update, even while traveling (and why would I want to risk an OS update while traveling anyway?). If I NEVER had to plugin the phone, even to recharge it, then that would be a different story, but if I'm plugin it in every night, what's the difference?

But I understand the "need" to match some features to the competitors products regardless of the real utility.

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I guess so, but I've been JBing my phone lately so I need a computer to do that when I upgrade anyway.

As for incremental upgrades it would be nice if we could have gone from say 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 OTA but to expect that from an entirely new OS? There's no way iOS5 could be anything but a huge file, especially if it has even half of the features everyone has been complaining about.

16. celticpride678

I see no point in OTA updates - first, it takes weeks to roll out the update to every user, downloads get corrupt, and take forever to download.

Everyone on Android says their phone is the best because of OTA updates, but they don't realize how much pain they're going to have to experience with it.

17. solowmodel macrumors 6502

To be honest I've never understood the fuss with OTA updates either.

Updating connected to a computer takes 15-20mins? :confused:

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

OTA will work great with my 200meg data cap, yes sir.

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The update is not counted against your data cap for the month, that's why the manufacturers pay the carriers for these updates, though you also have the option for OTA updates via WiFi in which case, the update is also not counted against your data usage.

Also, I'll be on board with OTA updates if Apple can implement it in a way that the carrier has no control or final say on when the updates get released, then I'll be good. But if Apple is going to have the same issues that Microsoft is having with its 'NoDo' update to its Windows Phones and letting the carrier delay it by months, then I'll stick with my USB method.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The size doesn't matter. A background download isn't making the user wait or stop using their device.

Only the first guess is even remotely true. And even then, the OTA push means everyone with that device will at least get a notice about the update.

Contrast that to iOS updates, which require that normal users hook up to a host computer to find out an update is available. Heck, after activation a lot of iOS users never plug their device into a computer again.

I think you are not including the backup beforehand and the sync afterwards. It can take hours to do an iOS update if a user follows all the steps.

For other OSes, updates usually come down silently in the background and only alert you when they're ready to install, which takes about 15 minutes total. No long resync necessary. To quote Jobs, it's like magic :)

Folks, OTA is already used by Apple for apps. It's likely to come for the OS as well, which is why everyone is predicting it. Arguing against it makes very little sense, especially since so many of us have had lots of experience with it on multiple devices and OSes and have had no problems.

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The new Apple TV runs a version of iOS 4 and that has OTA updates via WiFi. Though it is not implemented in the same way that you described with other phones and carriers, the Apple TV does notify me that their is a new update available for download, no cables required.

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I don't see what the big deal about OTA updates are anyway. I'm always at my computer pretty much most of the day. I might as well plug in my iDevice and update it while I'm already here using it. I guess the real reason people want it is because android has it. That's a really petty reason, but I guess if that's what people are noticing about android, then the competition needs to match or exceed that "feature" (even if it isn't actually necessary functionality-wise).

23. HitchHykr, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

OTA for apps makes complete sense because of what's involved and the frequency of the updates. I'm not arguing against OTA for the OS, I'm just stating that, IMO, it's unnecessary and it's pretty low on my wish list. And I'm not arguing this out of ignorance as your post seems to suggest, I haven't noticed any issues with OTA with my Apple TVs or Android phones so that's not why I don't care about it.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I'm also in my office mostly, so I understand what you mean.

OTOH, millions of people do not have their own dedicated host computer and/or do not tether to one all the time. So OTA makes sense for them.

A major advantage of other systems is that the user can do everything from the device itself, from activation to updates. This means you can give Grandma a device and she doesn't need a home computer with an internet connection to use and upgrade it.

My mother, who lives several states away, cannot upgrade the iPad I gave her to 4.0, because she has no laptop to tether to. And the computer its media files are sync'd to, is in my office.

If she had a Playbook or Android or WebOS tablet, it would not be a problem. They all have OTA updates.

In a so-called "post-PC" age, tethering is a dinosaur.

Which post? I don't recall responding to you. I was partly responding to someone who thought that OTA meant download failures and disappointments, which is quite the opposite of what you and I and others have experienced.

Cheers!

25. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

AFAIK, the AppleTV 2 does incremental patch updates, it does not download the whole OS everysingle time.

So the framework is already done, just need to be ported to the mobile version of iOS.

Regarding OTA and AT&T.. they could limit OTA to wifi only.. I wouldn't do a OTA update when on the move anyways.. not when I risk bricking the device if the update is not successful.