iOS 5 pre pondering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tech198, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

I know Apple will get Delta updates "over the air", including activations in IOS 5, but is this a replacement, or addition to updating via ITunes?

Will updates still be available over a tethered connection (if required) ?

I have Wifi access on my iPad, but not on my iPhone (not even 3G), coz I don't use data on the iPhone. But I'd still like to update it via ITunes, like I currently do

2. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

How do you not have Wifi on your phone? Is it broken? Why can't it use the same connection as your iPad?

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

I'd guess it'll be available either way. No reason why not.

But... why have you turned wifi off on your phone? Is there some reason why you can't use wifi on it? I take it you know you can use wifi while having 3g data disabled?

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Iphone

Yep.... I just choose not to stck my Wifi password on or enable 3G, because I don't use Internet on it... I use my iPad.

I know 2g can do it, only slower, but I deliberately disabled data with my mobile carrier on this, because I use prepaid.

Plus, the iPad has a bigger screen

5. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Whilst I'm pretty much certain the ipsw files will still be able to be downloaded to update or restore your device I'm still curious as to why you dont use wifi on the iphone? Without a data plan there are far better calls only phones out there - surely you're missing 3/4 of the experience?

Not criticizing, just wondering!

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can still use wifi. They can't charge you for using data over wifi. :roll eyes:

I hope I just blew your mind. Go ahead call your carrier and ask. They can't charge you. Why? Because there's no way for them to know that you're using wifi. Wifi networks are privately run, especially if you have your own at home. They are in no way connected to your carrier.

By the way, what the hell do you do with your iPhone if you have zero internet connectivity?
    And what iPhone owner is so misinformed so that he turns wifi off on his phone?

7. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yep..true, but iPhone caught my eye... If I was to go on a plan, I'd be wasting money, as all I use my phone for is emergency use, plus GPS mostly.

Prepaid, I have more control. No lock in contacts.

That's my only reason. Not having an iPhone would be dull and boring, as I I wanted was the IPhone when it was first released.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You've got no idea...