iOS 5 pull down have BT,WiFi shortcuts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone with a dev account who has a dev build of iOS5 on can you tell me a little about the pull down notification bar/menu please?

My daughter has an Android, which has a pull down menu/bar which contains messages, missed calls etc but also has a shortcut bar on top for switching on/off GPS, BT, WiFi, 3G etc. It is so so handy (to me anyway). Especially BT toggle, I use BT in my car but switch it off when not in to save battery. It is so so hidden to do this on iOS4 settings>General>BT>on/off.

Now you may say "it's only a few button presses" -it is but this shortcut bar is so handy. I really hope Apple copy :O this for iOS5

Cheers

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'd love to have that feature, all we can do is hope the GM comes with it!

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Not yet. iOS 5.x or 6, maybe. What they're doing with the widgets in the notification bar reminds me a lot of what they did with apps. First, develop the system and put a few Apple designed things in there to perfect the APIs (weather, stocks), then release the functionality into the SDK for the next OS release.

Don't know if they'll give third party devs the ability to control wifi though, so even if they can make widgets, you may still have to wait for Apple to bring "settings" into the notification bar themselves.

5. CASEACE79 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd say give it a week after the official build and there'll be a jailbreak tweak for it. Bet it's in development already. It's a nobrainer to add SBSettings to Notifications.

6. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

An official iOS with SBSettings? That'd be sweet :D SBSettings is one of my reasons I jailbreak.

7. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

Hahaha i would love that. Samsung android phones have that feature, and new HTC android phones do as well i believe.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I believe there already is a jailbreak tweak called UISettings (similar to SBSettings) that adds these functions to the iOS5 notification drop down. Who knows if it'll still work when iOS5 is officially released (and there's a jailbreak for it), but I believe it worked on earlier beta versions of iOS5.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Should have mentioned a non jailbreak version, mines stock.

It looks really good, thanks for screenshot but why put weather and stocks in there? There's apps for them already, why not put something more useful in.

I really really hope they add this or allow other setting in the top bar bit then....please Apple

10. shandyman Suspended

because they are the notification center's settings for the app, they're not seperate to the existing stocks or weather apps and because they are Apple's stock apps.

11. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

I think toggles should be kept separate from notifications and here is what I propose and I honestly believe it would be perfect;

On a command such as BT and Wi-Fi, hold down the bar until it turns blue then an option should appear 'add to shortcuts screen'. Then it will appear under the spotlight box.

Once spotlight is click to search the phone then the commands underneath are faded into the background.

Pull down for notification centre
    Swipe left for shortcuts and Spotlight
    Swipe right for more apps and folders
    Swipe up to reveal multi-tasking bar (when notification bar isn't pulled down).

:apple:

12. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

13. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you guys make jailbreaking sound like such a good thing !

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I really hope they implement those...

Bluetooth - on/off
    Wi-Fi - on/off
    3G - on/off
    Data - on/off
    Airplane - on/off
    Brightness adjustment

Should all be in there.

I'd also love it if they implemented Spotlight into the Notification Centre, and put it on the top. Spotlight should be quickly accessible from anywhere, Notification Centre is the perfect place for it.

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Too busy/cramped. Many of those aren't used often enough for a shortcut to be necessary.

I say:

Wifi
    3G
    Brightness

Keep it clean and simple.

16. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Will certain apps be able to somehow add those on the notifications drop? On iOS5 of course.

17. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So with the iOS beta do you think there is a possibility that Apple could add this but not put it in beta's and just the GM?

Have they done anything like this before? There's so many possibilitys with it, this is what frustrates me about Apple sometimes.

Here's hoping eh!!

18. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Well... it is.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

UISettings still works in the latest beta (beta 7).

20. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

There is a Brightness slider in the multitasking bar already... no reason to have it located in three places (Settings, Notification Center, and Multitasking Bar).

21. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Lol at Apple, they copied Android's notification system, at least go all the way and add the pull down widgets too.

iPhone5 lol :rolleyes:
    Nexus-Prime :eek:

22. shandyman Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Not on the iPhone it's not. That's iPad only. iPhone only has volume there. That's already in 3 places. 

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Only on the iPad, on the iPhone it's a volume bar.

24. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I think SBSettings is the reason MOST people Jailbreak!

Wouldn't ya think that Apple would have somebody on the 'inside' of the Jailbreak community (maybe even the Cydia Team) and do their homework.

If they managed to get stats on how many phones where Jailbroken, then realised that 90% of those people CHOSE to add SBSettings functionality......

Come on Apple - You are behind the curve on User Interfaces at the moment.

We do not want this functionality added to the notification bar. We want a separate gesture (maybe swipe left to right along the status bar!!).

Please Developers - SCREAM THIS GENUINE REQUIREMENT TO APPLE

25. shandyman Suspended

it makes more sense to have it in the notification center as that's there on every screen, swiping left to right in most apps will just interfere with them, like in photos, ibooks, etc, swiping like that to get into that menu will also change what page, photo, etc you're on.