iOS 5: Relase time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by e34guy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. e34guy macrumors member

At what time exactly will I be able to update my iPad to iOS 5? Has that been determined? Or will i just have to keep checking through out the day? 12AM? I'm located in Houston!

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Since I'm using the GM seed already, I'm more than content to wait a few days, post launch, to restore to the official release firmware.

3. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

The GM is the official release firmware.

4. bryanjc macrumors regular

The GM will expire though?

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I'm sure all previous ones have been around 6PM here in the UK.

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering the same. I would like to upgrade mine before I leave to work at 6am EST.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I leave for work the exact same time, and would also like to have iOS5 on my iPad prior to leaving my home.

8. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I read another thread a bit ago saying 12 noon EST is when it should be launched. I might bring my MacBook to work :)

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

The GM won't expire.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. GM is the exact same as the official release, and behaves exactly the same way. So no expirations, no need to have a developer ID, no need to "upgrade" to official release.

11. MarkG21 macrumors regular

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not exactly. There have been changes to the GM in the past. It "usually" is the official release is a more accurate statement but it can change.

I don't believe it will change in this case though as 5 is really stable. I haven't had a single issue *knock on wood*.

13. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

When it releases tomorrow will you guys that have the GM have to do anything special in order to take on all OTA updates downstream?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

true. But the one time I know of when there was a change between the GM and the official release, the point number changed (like from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 or something, I don't remember exactly). So people who were on the GM could upgrade normally, like they were upgrading to a point release.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Just restore to the GM version if its that important. you dont need to be a developer and it is available all over the interwebs.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No. GM is THE SAME as the official release. Same means SAME. identical. No difference. Got it?

17. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling that national productivity may suffer a significant dip tomorrow.

18. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

They tended to put out new iOS 5 betas by 5pm-6pmish EST, if that's any indication.

19. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

So what's it take to setup mine with the GM? You have to run a certain version of iTunes right? Will I be able to maintain all of my data or do you have to setup as new?

20. macinnv macrumors regular

I have a few questions about the update. I have a friend who has an iPad 1 and hasn't updated it since he got it 6 months ago, so its definitely on an old version. He owns a PC and barely knows how to work iTunes. I let him know that after iOS5, he wont have to keep plugging it into iTunes to update. Is this correct? And will he need to update it by syncing it with iTunes tomorrow to get it up to date?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

He'll have to update it to iOS 5 with iTunes on his PC (or someone's PC/Mac). After that, he should basically be able to not use the PC with it, as long as he can use WiFi to update it, and he's careful to either put stuff on iCloud or make sure there's another copy of media files that aren't in iCloud somewhere....

22. macinnv macrumors regular

Great thanks for the info, I'll let him know.

23. shandyman Suspended

the only time i know where this happened was when game center got taken out of 4.0 and pushed to a point release