iOS 5 Release OTA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Futhark, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I'm just curious to know will developers on iOS 5 GM be able to download the final release on the 12th October via OTA?

2. d3bruts1d macrumors member

There hasn't been any official word (AFAIK), however I would expect it to require a manual sync-install rather than OTA.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In order to get iOS5 OTA, iOS4 needs to be designed to handle OTA updates which it isn't. You'll need to updating iOS5 the old fashioned way - using iTunes

4. J.C macrumors 6502

The OP was referring to updating from iOS 5 not iOS 4.

More likely than not the GM will be the final release so there will be no update via either method for users already on that version.

5. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know as well.

So basically, iOS 5 won't be available over the air. We'll still need to sync via iTunes. :(

What time will it be available? I'm guessing in the AM, Pacific time?

6. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Isn't there going to be a newer version than the GM version? As there's Cards, Find My Friends and features such as OTA updates and Newsstand to be updated?

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

If you install iOS5 GM now, all you will see on Oct 12th is when you go to Settings---General---Software Update is that your software is up to date.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I believe the expectation is those will be app store downloads. Newsstand already says "You can download magazines and newspapers in the App Store" when you open it.

9. rodeoz macrumors newbie

The GM is the same build that is being put in the new iPhone 4S. Apple may release an update within a few days of the launch of the new iPhone to fix any bugs and you (like every one else on the iOS 5) should be able to download it OTA. The build Apple is going to release on the 12th will be identical to the GM. So no point in downloading it and putting it on your iPhone. You ll basically be redownloading the same thing again.

As for apps like cards, they ll be available on the app store from the 12th.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Cards and Find My Friends are apps, they'll be in the App Store (presumably after the 12th).

If you have the GM, you (theoretically) have the version that is coming out on the 12th - and any future iOS upgrades can be done OTA if you have the GM installed.

11. Eradik macrumors regular

I have it as well. I was very, very surprised that it runs so well on my 4. Very happy with it.

Of course, I have to have Siri, but iOS 5 is good to hold me over

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I doubt it there was no ota update from beta 7 to gm.

13. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

When I plug into iTunes on Wednesday will it say there's a new update or because I'm on GM will it say I'm up to date?

14. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If Apple has not yet created 5.0.1 you will be up to date. If they have, you will get a delta update... Some are saying they will be releasing a point update on Wednesday, however everything shipping the first few days from the factory will be the GM in any case.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It'll say you're up to date unless a new build is released. But that would only happen after a GM if a show stopping bug was found, in which case the release will slip anyway since they'd have to do another GM.

Phazer