iOS 5 release question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jonk1183, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

i can't recall what happened with iOS 4 but will they release iOS 5 so we can have it on the iPhone 4 before the iPhone 5 is released or do they release the new software the same day the new hardware is released?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If I'm not mistaken they released the GM build of 4.0 when the iP4 was announced and then the actual public download a day or two before the iP4 was being sold in stores. Keep in mind pre-orders started directly following the keynote announcement.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Correct. That happened with the iPhone 4 last June. I think we'll see a similar situation this time around.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Holy cow I was just starting to search before asking this very question.

The reason I was going to ask is that Carbonite just updated their app to 2.2.0. What's new is: "Prepares your Carbonite Access app for the upcoming iOS 5 release". They apparently believe there won't be any more changes or the changes won't affect them.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Well.. In a sense they are right. iOS 5 is on beta 7 and I'd imagine by late September/early October the GM build of iOS 5 will be released. They might have to update it to 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 by the time the actual download is available for the public but I'm sure they have the majority of it down.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

They are using the iOS 4 SDK to fix iOS 5 beta bugs in their apps. Once the GM of iOS 5 is out, they can use the iOS 5 SDK to fix iOS 5 app issues.

7. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

maybe iOS 5 Beta 7 is the final beta version and maybe apple will release the GM in 2 weeks

8. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Hope so

Too many betas for iOS5, I just want iOS5 to be released and review its features.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

I hope D:

10. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

True.We get the one beta after the other.7 betas is too much but this is because iOS 5 has many new features :D

11. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

iOS 5 is pretty cool. I hope they adjust the amount of texts it hold when they release it, cause I had the worst time with that.
    I was used to how iPhones delete old texts so it never gets full, but apparently on the beta 7 they don't care about that.

12. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Quite frankly I don't believe we have time for an 8th beta and here's how I came to that conclusion. Okay, so 99% of the time the GM is identical to the final release (except for 4.2 which is a rare exception).

iOS 3 Final beta to GM was 28 days.
    iOS 3 GM to "Official Release" was 9 days

iOS 4 Final beta to GM was 20 days
    iOS 4 GM to "Official Release" was 14 days

**The final beta to GM is ALWAYS roughly twice as long as beta to beta**

Betas are typically 2 weeks apart (give or take a few days here and there), Beta 7 came out August 31 which would put the next beta on Sep 14. Then we'd have to wait about 20-25 days from that beta to GM which would be around October 6th for the GM. Then it would be around 9-14 days from that which is ~October 19th. I just don't see it happening to be quite frank.

I think we're already on the last beta, and the GM seed will come out during the keynote this month probably on the 21st.

If we *do not* see a Beta 8 between the 12th and 16th you can except the GM to be coming next rather than Beta 8.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

iOS 5 beta 7 has numerous show stopper issues, so I hope Apple takes more time to fix issues before rushing to roll out GM.

But strangers thing have happened, so who knows? Take Lion, for instance. The beta before GM was still quite buggy and Apple rushed the release while knowing all the performance and WiFi issues.

14. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

I agree. While b7 is almost there, it's not there. Too many issues, and I foresee one more beta before GM.

15. tomtom101 macrumors regular

A while back did some developer not find a date buried somewhere in the beta that hinted at when the next beta would be released??

16. Saberon macrumors 6502a

17. shandyman Suspended

it was just a code that checked if a new one was available, like on iTunes where it says it will check on a set date for an update.