iOS 5 replacement iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dylatron2000, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

I currently have iOS 5 beta 7 on my iPhone 4 (Verizon/CDMA) but the front got really scratched up from an unfortunate fall yesterday. It is only a few months old so I can return it to the store probably for a new (well, refurbished) one. BUT I would lose iOS 5. Assuming it is coming out soon (the next few weeks or days or whatever) could I make a back up of the iphone tonight, go to the store to get a different iphone tomorrow, and then just run iOS 4.2.x.x until iOS 5 comes out, THEN restore my backup from the beta?

Just looking for options

Thanks.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I don't like the idea of restoring from a beta, you may run into issues. Also, you may not get it replaced as that is user damage which is not covered under warranty.

3. brodas macrumors regular

4. Dylatron2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

if I were to pay to get it replaced, or just got a new iphone in general, though, would I be able to restore from the beta? Or would I be better to wait until the GM?? (if there even is one :confused: )

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I don't see the point in this thread. The phone still works, correct?

6. tygrubb macrumors regular

Unless Apple does something in the GM build that precludes restoring from a beta backup, I don't see a reason why you couldn't.

The more important issue, as others have pointed out, if whether you should even if it's possible. It is opening the door for unexpected errors that might only ultimately be resolved by a clean install anyway. All we can say at this point is just wait and try it out.

I'd make a backup in any case, you just never know. Maybe someday someone will create a tool to extract certain portions from a given backup without having to restore the whole thing.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Why not just re activate phone, you get something like 100 devices.

2. How old are you? Sounds pretty childish to push the cost of your clumsy carelessness onto someone else.

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I wouldn't do it. I could see you running a lot of problems doing this.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Options? Android is an option. If you have patience, iPhone 4s or 5 or whatever will be here sometime in the future. That's for sure :)