iOS 5: scroll up to hide keyboard in Messages? Really, Apple? Edit: sorry, everyone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Goldfrapp, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Why do I have to scroll up to hide the freaking keyboard???? Why can't I just tap, I repeat TAP anywhere outside the keyboard to hide it??? What if I wanna read the very last message, which happens to be extra long??? Guess what, I have to scroll up to hide the keyboard, then scroll back down to read the last message.

Apple, did you just wanna be different from all the others???? I mean, common sense is just TAP outside the keyboard to hide it. Not scroll up, down, right or left. It's freaking awkward and dumb.

Ughhhhh eufhsjdfukydfgb,vnsbdvkuvyerof8q346i84uhkajergv

:mad:

2. celticpride678

Why can't you just "tap?" Well, because chances are you're going to tap on a message in conversation view, which Apple doesn't think is right.

Seriously, at least be glad that you can hide the keyboard now.

3. Goldfrapp, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

So what happens when one taps on a message in conversation view? Yeah, right, I forgot, the iPhone explodes!!!!

4. celticpride678

OK, listen. Putting in a bunch of :mad: isn't going to fix your "issue." If you're not happy about it, all you have to do is submit a bug report with Apple and solve it with them. Simple!

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Pass this onto a developer who can send it has a bug report to Apple.
    Problem solved, no need to be so tensed up. i think a tap outside the keyboard area would suffice. A tap and hold would obviously be for copying a text.

6. tac22 macrumors 6502

Sry, I think your right, their was a bug in beta 1 for me that actually totally hid the bottom messages under the keyboard, just checked and I see what he actually mean....

Though I don't see the real issue, if you want to read a long text most are gonna scroll up anyways

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You never know, OP, try adding a few more :mad: and see if that fixes your issue.

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Oh no, it will take one extra second to scroll up and down! What a total waste of time! :rolleyes:

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Actually, i understand the annoyance and it's legitimate. I think if enough devs point this out, Apple will change it for the Golden Master.

10. cshumate macrumors newbie

I actually think it's a cool feature. Maybe they should put a toggle in the message settings.

11. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

If I want to read a longer message, I rather have the keyboard hidden than have to scroll in that small area. the idea is, if you are reading messages, you aren't typing, so why not cover the whole screen with the messages. Just tap the messages bar to type a message. It's a freaking phone, and its a much better solution than I think Android does. If you don't like it, get an Android phone, and type a few more angry faces.

12. California King macrumors 65816

You don't have to scroll *all* the way to the top. Swipe down from the top of the message area to the keyboard area and the keyboard will hide. Quite convenient, IMO...lol

13. eddie92 macrumors newbie

14. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

15. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Dudes. This is a serious issue. Like Pakistan serious, or Saddam invading Kuwait serious. Really.

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I agree with the OP, the keyboard should hide with a tap outside of it.

17. antdawe macrumors regular

18. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dude. You need to chill out.

19. rellimie macrumors member

If you don't like the way the iPhone works then get rid of it and buy something else.

20. Kubus macrumors regular

I think the implementation is great. Works quite brilliantly. You only have to scroll until your finger goes over the keyboard and then it disappears. You have to move your finger like a cm and then a cm back to view the part of the message thats hidden.

If you just want to scroll up a tiny bit without hiding it, start scrolling higher without touching the keyboard part. It won't hide it.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Replies of this type are the least useful.

People can like something, and yet want improvements for it.

In fact, that's why the iPhone of today is not the same as the original model.

22. rellimie macrumors member

There is a way to constructively comment on the function of a device then there is the way the poster did it. I'm simply saying that if this feature draws that type of reaction from him then he should find a new phone because it's making him miserable.

23. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i didnt waste my time reading this thread with all the smileys and what not, but imo, a tap to hide the keyboard is needed. i thought iOS 4 had it, but maybe it was a bitesms feature? either way, i am not a fan of the scroll to hide feature, i much prefer tap to hide. seems silly and a small thing, im just so used to tapping to hide keyboard.

24. Kubus macrumors regular

In iOS4 you had to go back to view the list of people you have communicated with and then gone back to the message again to have the keyboard hidden. It was much much worse.

25. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I've been playing around with this implementation of hiding keyboard. It is freaking fantastic. I love how basically the phone is predicting what you want to do.