iOS 5 syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dan14, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dan14 macrumors regular

Hi All,

Not sure if this has gone in the right place as it kind of relates to everything, but I'm experiencing this specifically on an iPhone.

I'm running iOS 5 Beta 1 and have a question about the syncing behaviour. I understand that Wi-Fi syncing only works when it's plugged into a power source? I cannot seem to get mine to work, I plug it in to the wall charger and nothing happens. How long does it take to activate? I can only get it to sync when plugged into iTunes.

Similarly, there seems to be two types of sync. Normal which copies everything, and then when you click on Settings -> WiFi-Sync. The later doesn't seem to copy much, whereas the normal sync obviously copies everything.

My question, I know iCloud syncs everything together, but if I delete an App on my iPhone and then plug it into iTunes a few hours later, it'll just sync that deleted App straight back. Should the changes on my iPhone not consolidate back to iTunes (if its running) automatically? At the moment, every time I connect my iPhone it'll just sync it all back.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

SIGH!

Did you read the Developer's Notes when you downloaded iOS 5.0 beta 1? Or did you illegally download and install pre-release software on your iDevice?

3. Dan14 thread starter macrumors regular

No and no, I did it all in kind of a rush (my home broadband is disgraceful so had to do it all at work in lunch).

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As you have (digitally) signed an NDA you will understand that the rest of us can't tell you what is in the release notes (which are short) but I can tell you it provides an answer on WiFi syncing in Beta 1.

As would a search on these forums as this has been asked quite a few times already and been answered.

6. Dan14 thread starter macrumors regular

What, iCloud? Yeah I know. But you download an App on your iPhone it will appear in your iTunes minutes later. Doesn't seem to happen the other way around? Limited iCloud functionality is already present in both Lion and iOS 5.

7. Dan14 thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, thought it would be a quick answer. Guess I'll get my reading glasses! ;)

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

9. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I hope this is still on topic but my curiousity about how iTunes handles each device sync wants to know how iTunes does it.

Is the device itself always loaded into itunes so when iTunes detects the idevice within range it updates it or does itunes update the cloud then the cloud updates the device.

Hope that makes sense?

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

don't quote me on this but I figure it will probably use either it's IEMI(is that right?) or anyone of those device unique numbers to tell which sync blongs to which device so that when it's plugged into a power source it transmits that number to itunes and then itunes will sync with that device ID

11. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Very interesting. I hope that's the case.

12. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

So you didn't have time to read the developer documentation, but you had time to login to a forum and write a huge post about it? Go read the developer documentation. It will prevent you from asking questions that make you appear foolish.

13. Dan14 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thank you for being so helpful. I was simply asking for a bit of guidance.

14. Acronym macrumors 68000

Did you not read my post? I said don't quote me....do people ever listen??

nah in all seriousness I hope that is the case, it seems like that would be easiest. And when you need to sync to a new phone it will ask if you want to restore fro ma backup and when you do it will replace the old IMEI number with your new current phone's IMEI number.