iOS 5 tethered jailbreak reboots every day making it unusable

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sensamic, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

Since I did the tethered jailbreak last week to my iPhone 5 running iOS 5.0 every day the phone restarts after a few hours of doing the "just boot tethered" on Redsnow.

Is it just me or does everyone with the tethered jailbreak have to do the "just boot" every day? Maybe I did something wrong? Ive been thinking its because I installed a cydia tweak thats making my phone reboot every day, but I have uninstalled almost every tweak and its still rebooting every day.

What are your experiences with the tethered jailbreak? Is this normal? How long can the phone stay on until it reboots automatically?

Thanks!

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Is it a random restart or do you let your battery die? Did you do a clean install of the firmware or did you update from 4.x.x to 5.0?

Mine is fine...doesn't have random restarts :p

3. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Its a random restart. I updated from 4.3.3 jailbreak to 5.0.

So maybe its a cydia tweak causing the restart? I can't restore to 5.0 through iTunes and don't want to install 5.0.1 because it will make it more difficult to untethered.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

Like elpmas, I have been running a jb iPhone4 for over a month and have never had a problem.

5. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm going to go with the fact that it's not working due to the fact you're jailbreaking an iPhone 5 that doesn't exist

6. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Start deleting Cydia tweaks and see if it goes away. My tethered JB is fine.

7. Ramsteiner macrumors member

Or install Crash Reporter off of Cydia and see what is causing the crashes. Many of the apps aren't really IOS 5 compatible yet.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

And none of the apps is ready for the iPhone 5.:rolleyes:

Seriously, my iP4 on iOS 5 jb tethered has been on for more than a week since I tethered re-booted it last weekend just for general principle. You have a bad tweak or two.... clean up your phone to bare bones and add your apps back one at a time, testing each for stability, rather than piling on seventeen tweaks in one night and wondering why you keep crashing. ;)

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Half, if not, most of the cydia tweaks aren't iOS 5 compatible yet. So start removing the tweaks! My tether hasn't rebooted randomly once yet on my i4.

10. cdrwinston macrumors regular

Yes I had the same problem. Eventually I could not get any Cydia apps to work...and to no avail I had to update to 5.0.1. Initially I did not restore as a new phone and I installed semi tether. This time I have not had any problems with a clean update and no semi tether. I just read on another forum that that may cause some problems. I keep my laptop with me so I'm ok without it.

11. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

my tethered on ios5 is also fine, i have not so much tweaks though but the basic , sbsettings i file barrel winterboard and a few more as im also scared to coz any problems ..

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no issues here with random reboots, maybe a few safe mode crashes but a respring fixes that

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

i haven't had to restart or re-spring at any point. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. As long as you keep phone charged, shouldn't be a problem.

I do however only have a few tweaks and applications installed.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

funny part to this is i never used to let my phone die, but since i teethered jailbreak, ive forgoten a few times to charge up over night, but the jailbreak alone is very stable, just as stable as any unteethered ones ive used

15. ru4real macrumors member

The only time I've seen something similar was when I got a bad iPhone on an Apple Care exchange. The device they gave me had a loose connection or something internally that cause regular restarts (from every couple of days to a couple times per day). I brought the unit in and they gave me (another) replacement device, haven't had a problem since. Maybe the OP's problem is hardware related and it just wasn't noticed until on a tethered JB?

16. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks everyone for the help.

I haven't had this kind of problems before with all my previous jailbreaks. I assume its a tweak too, so I will be uninstalling all of them and start installing them one by one to see if it works.

17. mishka00 macrumors newbie

Hey Sensamic, I've been having the same issue here, randomly reboots at least once a day, annoying as hell. If you figure out what's been causing yours to reboot, pls share. Thanks.

18. mishka00 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, and finally figured out it was CleverPin that was causing it. Disabled it for now - no rebooting anymore.

19. emercy macrumors newbie

same problem here

Hi , i have the same problem as you , i install iOS5 but the battery only last 6 hours doing nothing ( when i sleep) so i reinstal 5.0 again and jailbreak thetered , but ir reboot randomnly .

if you have found a solution, please tell me .

thx

20. scowl macrumors member

Haven't had many issues at all with the tethered jailbreak. Only time the phone has rebooted was because I've done it myself. ONLY issue I'm having is that when I try to sync music, it resprings. I can sync apps/photos just fine however.

21. rajeevsharma888 macrumors newbie

Same rebooting problem, on iOS 5 iPhone 4, semitether.

Crash reporter, found three reasons...

Appindexer
    MailDataprovider
    chatkit

Now i have disabled, appindexer in spotlight search,
    but don't know how to disable the other two..... ?

Apparently, these reboots, were there even before semitether,

my iphone would every day have apple logo, every morning.
    & i had to boot tethered every morning,

semi tether just made life a bit easier,

but still this rebooting thing is more often now adays, after like 3-4 hours &, is causing a hell lot of problems...

22. mishka00 macrumors newbie

I had this issue, and the culprit was CleverPin. If I had WiFi disabled, it wouldn't reboot, so try that and see if it still reboots. Before I figured out it was CleverPin, I did have the crash reporter tell me that Appindexer crashed a few times, but apparently that was not the cause of the reboots.

23. jelwell macrumors member

I had this happen to me. I thought AppIndexer crashes were related (as I had logs daily), but for me that was unrelated.

The problem, for me turned out to be "CameraLocker". It puts the camera icon on the lock screen all the time. I didn't like having to double tap the home button to bring up the camera icon. I wanted it all the time.

I uninstalled, and haven't had a crash since.
    Joseph Elwell.